BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY APRIL 19, 2017 5:30 PM, BROOKFIELD TOWN CLERK’S OFFICE, RALPH ROAD, BROOKFIELD, VT
Attending were the following PSAC members: Stuart Edson, Kevin Joyal, Joy Kacik, and Lew Stowell
- REVIEW AND APPROVE MINUTES OF FEBRUARY 27, 2017 MEETING. Approved by all.
- QUESTIONS OR ISSUES BROUGHT BY MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC. None Attended.
- REVIEW PROGRESS OF THE TRAFFIC AND ROAD SIGN INVENTORY. After a thorough discussion, Stuart Edson agreed to complete his traffic sign inventory. Lew Stowell agreed to help him compare that inventory with the sign material sent by Rita Seto, Two Rivers RPC, and Matt Bogaczyk, AOT.
- DISCUSSION OF BROOKFIELD TRAFFIC ORDINANCE REVISION. It was agreed that the committee will use the “Local Roads” model traffic ordinance because it is the most recent. Lew Stowell agreed to draft an ordinance using the material from Stuart Edson.
- DISCUSSION OF RECOMMENDING A PUBLIC NUISANCE ORDINANCE. Based on information from Ben Jickling on advice from the Legislative Staff, the committee agreed that an ordinance using “Public Nuisance” to prohibit domestic fowl from crossing or congregating on public highways was within the power of the Select Board. This will be transmitted to the Select Board.
- CONTINUING REVIEW OF OCSD ACTIVITIES, REPORTS AND BILLS. It was noted that the OCSD activity had not followed the guidance offered by the committee. Sheriff Bill Bohnyak will be invited to the May 24, 2017 meeting.
- DISCUSSION OF POND VILLAGE & STONE ROAD PARKING STATUS. It was noted that Ariel’s Restaurant was opening for the season and no activity by the town road crew to help the owners of Ariel’s to re-establish two parking spots had been observed. Joy Kacik offered to send an email to John Benson to learn the status of the project.
- CONTINUING DISCUSSION ABOUT DEVELOPING A SET OF GOALS AND EXPECTATIONS FOR OCSD SUPPORT OF PUBLIC SAFETY IN BROOKFIELD. Sheriff Bohnyak is invited to the May 24th meeting to share his thoughts with the committee.
- DISCUSSION OF POST OFFICE OUTDOOR BULLETIN BOARD STATUS. It was agreed by all that the Select Board should officially in writing declare individual locations in Brookfield where official notices should be posted. The US Post Office outdoor board is one of the better choices. There may be local civic groups who could maintain the outside board at the US Post Office.
- REVIEW OF MARCH PUBLIC SAFETY EVENT. It was agreed that despite the efforts of law enforcement and the committee, there is not enough interest in Brookfield to warrant another event. Sheriff Bohnyak has offered to hold a bike rodeo in the future which might be better attended.
- SETTING THE NEXT MEETING. May 24, 2017
- INVITING GUESTS TO THE NEXT MEETING. Sheriff Bohnyak will be invited to attend.
- Unanimous vote to adjourn at 6:35 PM.