BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
FEBRUARY27, 2017 5:30 PM, BROOKFIELD FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY BROOKFIELD, VT
Attending were the following PSAC members: Stuart Edson, Kevin Joyal, Joy Kacik, Mike Stoddard and Lew Stowell and Guests Sheriff William Bohnyak, OCSD and LT Roger Farmer, VSP
- REVIEW AND APPROVE MINUTES OF JANUARY 25, 2017 MEETING. Approved
- QUESTIONS OR ISSUES BROUGHT BY MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC. None present.
- GUESTS FROM OCSD AND VSP:
- OCSD & VSP INTER-AGENCY COLLABORATION. Both Sheriff Bohnyak and Lt Farmer explained how their agencies collaborated and backed each other up when needed.
- FINALIZE THE 2017 PUBLIC SAFETY EDUCATIONAL EVENT. The event was discussed and everyone’s role in it made clear. OCSD will conduct the new LEAD (Law Enforcement Against Drugs) program for school aged children. Both OCSD & VSP will have knowledgeable personnel at the adult session. Sheriff Bohnyak suggested an additional event in future years known as a Bicycle Rodeo. The committee agreed to pursue this after this years event was concluded.
- DISCUSS AND PLAN FOR A CRIME PREVENTION OUTREACH PROGRAM. Both guests indicated there was a lot of good existing material and pledged to help us find it. Stuart to send “Crime Reports” link to the LT and Sheriff. LT Farmer to send Lew the 2016 stats from VSP.
- REVIEW PROGRESS OF THE VEHICULAR INVENTORY OF TRAFFIC AND ROAD SIGNS. Stuart showed results to date and discussed assumptions that need to be validated. Both Stuart & Lew will work on the data and have it refined by the next PSAC meeting.
- DISCUSSION OF BROOKFIELD TRAFFIC ORDINANCE REVISION- Lew will contact Local Roads and Rita at Two Rivers RPC to discover a valid ordinance model.
- DISCUSS AND PLAN FOR POSSIBLE PRESENTATIONS AT THE TOWN MEETING- All members will attend and Lew will give a quick overview of activity since the last Town Meeting.
- CONTINUING REVIEW OF OCSD ACTIVITIES, REPORTS AND BILLS- Lew had not received the latest OCSD report. Both he and Sheriff Bohnyak will check on the status.
- DISCUSSION ABOUT DEVELOPING A SET OF GOALS AND EXPECTATIONS FOR OCSD SUPPORT OF PUBLIC SAFETY IN BROOKFIELD- Joy Kacik handed out a one page draft and Sheriff Bohnyak offered to review it and get back to her.
- CONTINUING DISCUSSION OF VT OPEN MEETING LAW REQUIREMENTS-Brief discussion & no actions taken.
- POSSIBLE INTERACTION WITH THE SELECT BOARD MEETING- Not needed.
- POND VILLAGE & RIDGE ROAD PARKING STATUS- Positive response on Stone Road.
- PSAC MEMBERSHIP DISCUSSION CONTINUED- No interested parties to date.
- SETTING THE NEXT MEETING- April 19, 2017 at Town Clerk’s Office at 5:30 PM.
- INVITING GUESTS TO THE NEXT MEETING- Stuart to call Keith Gallant, F&W.
- ADJOURNED AT 6:51 PM.