BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 15, 2021, 5:30 PM
The Brookfield Public Safety Advisory Committee met in person as warned.
The following members attended: Dan Mason, Mike Stoddard, Michael Rutkovsky, Stuart Edson and Lew Stowell. Katherine Threlkeld, Select Board Member and LT Hugh O’Donnell, Vermont State Police also attended
5:30 PM: Call to Order-There were no additions or deletions to the agenda.
- Review, revise or approve the November 17, 2021 meeting minutes. Approved as written. 5-0
- Questions or Issues Brought by Members of the Public. No Members of the Public attended.
- Guest Presentation: LT Hugh O’Donnell, VSP Royalton Barracks- Providing Law Enforcement Services to Rural Communities. LT O’Donnell provided a brief presentation in which he said the Vermont State Police (VSP) was more in a response mode than that of providing patrols. He urged the public to report suspicious behavior promptly. He provided a detailed report on the 109 “Calls for Service” received by his station from Brookfield from 12/01/2020 to 12/1/2021. His station has a shortage of troopers but is hopeful that the next two graduating Law Enforcement Academy classes will help bring his station up to full staffing. VSP is not taking on new town contracts for law enforcement services at this time. He offered to check with his sources about possible grants, particularly public education grants. He also answered questions from the committee and pointed out that he is a native Vermonter with local ties.
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety- Further Discussion. The committee is awaiting a response from the Select Board on the committee’s recent recommendations. Public education is felt to be of prime importance. The wearing of bright and reflective clothing is very important.
- Review and Discussion of OCSD Activities including Patrol Hours, Reports, Bills and Budget Recommendation. S Edson moved and M Rutkovsky seconded a motion to recommend that the Select Board continue the FY 2023 OCSD contract at 312.5 hours which will cost $16,250.00. Motion approved 5-0.
- Traffic, Road Name and Weight Limit Sign Budget Recommendation-S. Edson moved and M. Stoddard seconded a motion to recommend that the traffic Control Sign portion of the FY 2023 budget be level funded at $8500.00. Motion approved 5-0. The committee is requesting to know how many and what kind of traffic control signs are on hand at the highway department at this time.
- Traffic Ordinance Status- The committee is awaiting word from the Select Board. K Threlkeld to check.
- Parking Issues in Brookfield-It was noted that the fence at Hippo Park has been damaged.
- January Public Safety Message- L Stowell will send M. Rutkovsky suggestions for the January 2022 Safety Tips. Stowell to prepare the Pedestrian/Bicycle Safety portion.
- Setting the Next Meeting- Wednesday, 1/19/2022 at 5:30 PM.
- Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting- L. Stowell to invite a grants knowledgeable person.
- Entertained a motion to adjourn the meeting. Approved 5-0 at 7:09 PM.