Town of Brookfield
Public Safety Advisory Committee
Brookfield Public Safety Advisory Committee: Stuart Edson, Michael Rutkovsky, Dan Mason, Mike Stoddard, and Lew Stowell
BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
OCTOBER 2019 SAFETY TIPS
These tips are intended for residents, visitors and property owners of Brookfield, VT but may apply to neighboring towns as well.
PLANNING FOR THE UPCOMING WINTER
Most of us have experienced enough Vermont Winters to have our houses tightened up, the fuel of choice arranged for, snow removal ready, etc. before Winter. So why include this in an October Safety Message? Last year Winter started in late October! The recent late Falls and Winters have featured freezing rain, wet, heavy snow, ice and sometimes high winds. These have resulted in power outages for extended periods of time and dicey traveling conditions. Power companies focus their resources on roads and areas where there are a lot of customers and work their way down to the places where there are fewer customers. This is not a complaint. Just a good allocation of their resources. Therefore, those of us who live on the less populated roads that often lose power and get plowing later need to plan for that likelihood.
- How soon should you have your Winter tires put on?
- Does your cell phone have service in your home? If not, what is your plan B or C for emergencies?
- How many exits does your house have? Are you like a lot of Vermonters who do not use their front door much? Could you get out of it in an emergency?
- When should you check your smoke and CO alarms for operation and fresh batteries?
- When are you going to have your furnace serviced?
- When are you going to clean (or have cleaned) your wood burning chimneys?
- When are you going to service your back up generator? If you don’t have one yet, where could you rent one if needed?
- How much water should you store?
Let’s hope for a mild Winter but be prepared for a hard one.Brookfield Public Safety Advisory Committee: Dan Mason, Michael Rutkovsky, Mike Stoddard, Stuart Edson and Lew Stowell.
For more information about the the Public Safety Advisory Committee, or to share non-emergency concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency and Other Important Numbers
TOWN CLERK 276-3352
TOWN CONSTABLE (for animal control) Dan Mason
TOWN GARAGE 276-3090
State Police Dispatch 234-9933
White River Valley Ambulance 802-234-6800
Northfield Ambulance 485-8550
Orange County Sheriff 685-4875
Vermont State Police 234-9933
Williamstown Rescue Unit 476-4111
Brookfield Elementary School 276-3153
Randolph Union High School 728-3397
Randolph Technical Career Center 728-9595