Minutes of the Meeting of
TOWN OF BROOKFIELD SELECTBOARD
Town Clerk’s Office
September 13, 2021
THOSE PRESENT: John Benson, Chair; Jeff Kimmel, Dennis LaRocque, Brenda Flint, and Kate Threlkeld, Members; Tim Higgins, Road Crew Foreman; and Betty Lord, Secretary.
- CALL TO ORDER: The Chair, Mr. Benson called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
- ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA: None
- PUBLIC COMMENTS: None
- HIGHWAY REPORT:
- Access Permits – (1) Jacob Apel of Barre, VT, and (2) Jennifer and Thomas Buchino, Jr. of Milford, CT each requested the installation of culverts on class 4 roads in Brookfield on property which they own. The policy is that those requisitioning a permit will pay for the culverts and the Town will then maintain them. Mr. Benson made a motion to approve both requests as noted. Mr. Kimmel seconded the motion which was approved unanimously. (5-0-0)
- Bear Hill Culvert – Mr. Benson made a motion to approve the application for a proposed replacement of a culvert on Bear Hill Road. Mr. Kimmel seconded and the motion carried. (5-0-0)
3 John Rice Culvert – Mr. Higgins will contact Mr. Rice of Chelsea Road to let him know that a study is being done to determine what size culvert is needed and once that study is completed, action will be taken to replace the culvert.
- Emergency Grant for 21 July Storm – Mr. Benson made a motion to submit an Emergency Grant request to VTrans to help cover the costs of damage to roads during the storm of July 21. Mr. Kimmel seconded and the motion was unanimously approved. (5-0-0) The Board signed a letter to VTrans making this request.
Mr. Higgins also reported that the road crew has been ditching and will be starting work on Twin Pond Road tomorrow (September 14).
Mr. Benson talked with Mr. Doug Haggett regarding purchase of sand at his site on VT Route 14. Samples were taken to determine if the sand would meet the Town’s needs. Mr. Haggett also said that he had some gravel for sale. Site assessment, along with discussion of potential pricing and timing of activities, will continue.
Mr. LaRocque made a motion to go into Executive Session. Mr. Kimmel seconded and the Board went into Executive Session at 7:19 p.m. Mr. Benson made a motion to come out of Executive Session. Mr. Kimmel seconded and the Board came out of Executive session at 7:25 p.m. The nature of the session was informational, and no decisions were made.
The Board agreed to ask Harmony Electric P.C. to put the Town on their work schedule to upgrade electrical outlets and related items at the Town garage. It is estimated this work will cost approximately half of the budget in the line item “Highway Building and Grounds” that has a total budgeted amount of $15,000.
- NEW BUSINESS:
- LHMP Extension – Mr. Benson made a motion to approved the extension of amendment #1 for the Town Local Hazard Mitigation Plan with Two Rivers-Ottauquechee Regional Commission to August 23, 2022. Mr. Kimmel seconded and the motion was passed unanimously. (5-0-0)
- Assemblage Permit – Myra Flynn Concert – Event had already taken place before the Board met.
- Assemblage Permit – October 3, 2021 Market Day – Mr. Kimmel made a motion to approve the proposal for Market Day to be held on October 3, 2021 from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. Mrs. Flint seconded and the motion carried unanimously. (5-0-0)
- Halfway Brook Grants – Mrs. Threlkeld made a motion to make an application to VTrans for a grant to help with scoping and design as well for doing the repair work on the bridge on Halfway Brook Road. Mr. Kimmel seconded and the motion was unanimously approved. (5-0-0)
- OLD BUSINESS:
Audit Report – Mrs. Flint reported that she had spoken with Braintree and other towns of similar size to Brookfield regarding their accounting practices. The Board agreed that Mrs. Flint will contact alternative accounting firms regarding potential bids and scopes of work for auditing services, and will coordinate with the Town Clerk/Treasurer to determine how the Board will move forward on working with an approved firm.
- MEETING MINUTES OF AUGUST 23, 2021:
Mr. Kimmel made a motion to accept the minutes of the August 23, 2021 Selectboard meeting as presented. Mrs. Flint seconded and the motion was approved with Mr. LaRocque abstaining as he did not attend that meeting. (4-0-1)
- PAYROLL AND AP WARRANTS:
Mrs. Flint made a motion to approve the accounts payable report as presented with a total amount of $78,336.37 and with the largest amount being $48,825.00 being paid to W.B. Rogers for sand. Mr. Benson seconded and the motion was unanimously approved. (5-0-0)
- OTHER BUSINESS:
The Board signed the Lease Agreement/Utility Easement for West Street for under-road wiring repair work that was previously conducted near the Taplin property.
Mr. Kimmel has made notations on the recent Cemetery Rules document for suggested duties the potential Cemeteries Sexton (and other Town officials) might be responsible.
Mr. Benson reported that a fire hydrant installed a number of years ago near the Floating Bridge is not functioning properly. The Fire Department has applied to VTrans for a permit as it is sited adjacent to a state highway (VT Route 65). The Town Selectboard will need to sign the application as the Fire Department comes under the auspices of the Town. Mr. Benson made a motion to allow Mr. Kimmel to act as representative of the Board to sign the application when it is completed. Mr. LaRocque seconded the motion which was unanimously approved. (5-0-0)
There being no further business to come before the Board, Mr. LaRocque made a motion to adjourn. Mr. Kimmel seconded the motion and the meeting was unanimously adjourned at 8:30 p.m. (5-0-0)