BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY, MAY 19, 2021, 5:35 PM
The Brookfield Public Safety Advisory Committee met remotely by electronic means as warned.
The following members attended: Michael Rutkovsky, Mike Stoddard, Dan Mason, Stuart Edson and Lew Stowell. Guest: Jon Jickling… No members of the public attended.
- 5:35 PM: Call to Order. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda.
- Review and approve the April 21, 2021 meeting minutes. Approved 5-0
- Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) Update. Jon Jickling said traps are to be deployed in the next two weeks. Landowners hosting traps will be contacted soon with instructions. A brief explanation will be provided at the Town meeting. Hand out materials are in short supply.
- Review and Discussion of OCSD Activities including Patrol Hours, Reports and Bills. April had the largest number of patrol hours of the year at 20.
- 2021 Speed Cart Deployments- The cart was deployed twice in April. Once at the Elementary School on Ridge Road and on Stone Road in Pond Village. There was a significant number of vehicles exceeding the speed limit in both locations. Further patrols with radar may be needed to reduce the speeding.
- Traffic and Weight Limit Sign Status: After discussion, a motion was made and seconded to request a status on sign replacement and urge the Select Board to place the replacement of missing traffic control signs to a higher priority. For example, there is a missing stop sign at the intersection of West Street and Holman Drive and a missing speed limit sign at the North end of Pond Village and many other similar missing or damaged signs that pose a safety risk to drivers and present difficulty in enforcing speed limits. Approved 5-0.
- Traffic Ordinance Status: It is with the Select Board awaiting a special meeting to approve.
- Parking in Pond Village: We look forward to the expansion of the Town Office Parking lot. The OCSD effort of educating persons parking near the Floating Bridge appears to be improving the situation.
- Stone Road Parking Issues. After discussion, a motion was made and seconded to recommend that the Select Board invite Sheriff Bohnyak to an upcoming Select Board meeting to discuss what if anything the town needs to do to enable OCSD deputies to enforce parking in the traveled portion of Stone Road in the vicinity of 2141 Stone Road. A survey has been done and either maps or measurements can be provided to OCSD. Placement of vehicles and other items in the traveled portion continues to present a traffic hazard when vehicles meet at that location. It could be an issue should fire trucks, ambulances or large farm vehicles try to pass other vehicles there. It is further recommended that the Town Attorney should be consulted to determine what steps can be taken to move vehicles and other items now located within the Town Right of Way back from the edge of the road. 5-0.
- June Public Safety Message Stoddard will prepare one on road safety.
- Setting the Next Meeting: 5:30 PM on June 23, 2021. It will hopefully be in-person and at the Congregation Church.
- Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting: Tim Higgins and Jeff Kimmel are invited to provide Tim’s assessment of Town highway issues.
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made and seconded. Approved 5-0. Adjourned at 6:34 PM.