Nov 122018
 

BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 14, 2018 5:30 PM
BROOKFIELD TOWN OFFICE,
40 RALPH ROAD, BROOKFIELD, VT
AGENDA

Review and Approve Minutes of October 24, 2018. [10/24/18 Minutes]
Questions or Issues Brought by Members of the Public.
Continuing Review of OCSD Activities, Reports and Bills. [OCSD Patrol Hours]
Traffic Law Enforcement and TORC Traffic Study. Rita Seto’s Clarification
Continuing Review of Parking Enforcement on Stone Road.
Reflective E-911 House Number Signs Project Progress.
Continuing discussion of the of the Emerald Ash Borer threat. Ray Peck, BHD Interview
Increasing Parking in Pond Village.
Keeping in Touch with the Select Board and the Highway Department.
Discussion of movable radar speed display signs and the data that they produce. [Data?]
December Public Safety Message. [Draft Message]
Setting the Next Meeting.
Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting.
Adjournment

Oct 022018
 

BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY September 26, 2018  5:30 PM
BROOKFIELD TOWN OFFICE
RALPH ROAD, BROOKFIELD, VT
UNAPPROVED MINUTES

Review and Approve Minutes of August 22,2018: Approved unanimously.
Questions or Issues Brought by Members of the Public: None attended.
Continuing Review of OCSD Activities, Reports and Bills: Only 18.5 hours of patrols performed in this fiscal year. Dan Mason to explore an alternative provider or law enforcement services and report to committee at October meeting.
Traffic Law Enforcement: Members received complaints about speeding and offers for places to place the speed cart or a cruiser with radar.  L Stowell to contact OCSD.
Continuing Review of Parking Enforcement on Stone Road: Committee awaiting second traffic study report from Two Rivers Ottaquechee Regional Commission (TRORC). S. Edson to contact Braintree for their experience with a similar situation. L Stowell to contact TRORC on likely report date.
Keeping in Touch with the Select Board and Highway Department: L Stowell to brief J. Benson. See below.
Discussion of the threat of the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) on Town Roads and power lines. Received draft EAB plan from Randolph.  That plan estimates healthy Ash tree removal by contractors at $300.00 each and unhealthy or dead Ash trees between $375.00 and $750.00 each.  Stowell to send link to members. L. Stowell contacted GMP and will get their plan soon.  L Stowell to contact Washington Electric Coop for their plan.
Increasing Parking in Pond Village: S. Edson to contact R. Peck for status on exploration of town and MacBruce land adjacent to existing Town Office parking lot.
Reflective E-911 House Number Signs Project Progress: Godfrey received a new lower price quote. D. Mason to check with provider (VCI) and confirm price and reflectivity and report to committee.  Committee may have to contact purchasers and have checks replaced with new lower amounts.
Discussion of movable radar speed display signs and the data that they produce: No recent data received. L Stowell to contact OCSD.
October Public Safety Message. Stowell to write and send to S. Edson for website.
Setting the Next Meeting: Wednesday October 24, 2018 at 5:30 PM.
Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting: None invited, may have members of the public attend.
Adjournment at 7:00 PM.

Jul 302018
 

BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY JULY 25, 2018 AT 5:30 PM
BROOKFIELD TOWN OFFICE
RALPH ROAD, BROOKFIELD, VT
UNAPPROVED MINUTES
The following members attended: Stuart Edson, Mike Stoddard, Dan Mason, Michael Rutkovsky and Lew Stowell.

Review and Approve Minutes of June 27,2018: Approved unanimously.
Questions or Issues Brought by Members of the Public: No members of the public attended.
Guest: Enforcement & Safety Division, VT DMV: No one was available to attend.
Continuing Review of OCSD Activities, Reports and Bills: June bill and report reviewed. Stowell to send an email requesting patrol logs each month, and request patrolling during at least a few of the Old Town Hall events.
Continuing Review of Parking Enforcement on Stone Road: Stowell to send a report on Committee efforts to research the problem to J. Benson, Select Board Chair. M. Rutkovsky to speak with an engineer at AOT.
Keeping in Touch with the Select Board and Highway Department: L. Stowell to discuss possible methods with J. Benson, Select Board Chair.
Increasing Parking in Pond Village: Edson to research Zoning Bylaws. L. Stowell to query Select Board on next steps.
Reflective E-911 House Number Signs Project: D. Mason presented Rule Sign sample. Niebling unable to attend. D. Mason to query Vermont Correctional Industries (VCI) whether their signs have holes. If so, to go with VCI signs.  S. Edson to create a spreadsheet with the names of residents who want signs to provide to T. Godfrey.  L. Stowell to send him one as well wit additional names.  The project needs to be completed soon.
Discussion of movable radar speed display signs: Unanimous agreement that having OCSD provide their “Speed Cart” from time to time at locations with up to date signs was a cost-effective way to encourage safe speeds. The Committee will continue to stay informed of current speed display sign technology. Stowell will provide a current list of requested sites for the “Speed Cart” to OCSD.
August Public Safety Message: The safety message to be combined with the E-911 House Number Sign request for other people wanting signs. E-911 House Number Sign request to be put on Front Porch Forum.
Setting the Next Meeting: August 22, 2018.
Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting: D. Mason to invite someone from DMV Enforcement & Safety Division. If not confirmed by August 15, another guest may be invited.
Adjournment: 7:12 PM.

Jul 022018
 

BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY June 27, 2018 5:30 PM
BROOKFIELD TOWN OFFICE
RALPH ROAD, BROOKFIELD, VT
UNAPPROVED MINUTES
The following members attended: Stuart Edson, Mike Stoddard, Dan Mason, Joy Kacik, Michael Rutkovsky and Lew Stowell.  Dennis Larocque attended as a member of the public.

Review and Approve Minutes of May 23, 2018. Approved unanimously.
Questions or Issues Brought by Members of the Public. Dennis Larocque expressed his concern that the parking situation at 2141 Stone Road was unsafe and if not resolved soon could result in a serious accident either between vehicles and pedestrians or between vehicles.
Guest: To Be Determined. No guest from DMV was available.
Continuing Review of OCSD Activities, Reports and Bills. The increase of the OCSD hourly rate from $40.00 per hour to $46.00 per hour will result in a reduction of the patrol hours of 40.1 to a new total of 260.9 hours per year. The FY 2019 budget amount of $12,000 remains the same.  OCSD has been placing their Radar Speed Display (Speed Cart) in locations in Brookfield where speed limit signs have changed such as at the Elementary School and Stone Road in Pond Village.  When the new OCSD web site is completed there will be a way for the town to access more detailed records of OCSD patrols
Continuing Review of Parking Enforcement on Stone Road. The committee agrees that there must be a resolution to this situation to reduce the risk of accidents at 2141 Stone Road.  As requested by the Select Board the committee will research entities performing “Traffic Studies”, the legal authority for the Select Board to proceed and to determine the exact location of Stone Road in that locality.
Increasing Parking in Pond Village. Stuart Edson met with Ray Peck, Road Foreman, at the Town Office Parking Lot. Ray pointed out the town boundary which could provide approximately 40 additional feet of parking in a Northerly direction on Ralph Road. Ray estimated that if he did not hit substantial ledge, he could cut the trees and add fill in approximately 3 days.  There was one big tree that would be left or cut by Washington Electric Coop.  Because there is no acquisition of land, this could be done this year with Select Board approval.  The parking lot could be increased further by about 100′ in the future by purchase or lease of land from the MacBruces.  Additional signs at the floating bridge are being worked on by Dan Mason.
Reflective E-911 House Number Signs. Dan Mason will work with Theresa Godfrey, Town Clerk, to register with Vermont Correctional Industries, to determine the specific inclusive price and receive the first batch of orders.
Discussion of movable radar speed display signs. The committee will continue to look in to purchase of a radar speed display unit but in the meantime the OCSD Speed Cart is filling the need.  The location of the Speed Cart is limited to where valid speed limit signs are posted.
July Public Safety Message. Will be posted on the Town Website and Front Porch Forum.
Setting the Next Meeting. July 25, 2018 at 5:30 PM.
Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting. Dan Mason will invite DMV again.
Adjournment. 7:12 PM.

May 292018
 

The Brookfield Highway Dept will be replacing culverts and lining ditches on East Hill Road June 4 through June 14. One lane traffic and intermittent road closures will be unavoidable. Travelers should expect delays and are encouraged to find alternate routes when possible.

May 282018
 

BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Wednesday May 23, 2018 5:30 PM
Brookfield Town Office
Ralph Road, Brookfield, VT

UNAPPROVED MINUTES
The following members attended: Stuart Edson, Mike Stoddard, Dan Mason, Joy Kacik, Michael Rutkovsky and Lew Stowell.  Deputy Kevin Wilson, OCSD attended as invited guest.

Review and Approve Minutes of April 25, 2018. Approved unanimously.
Questions or Issues Brought by Members of the Public. None attended.
Acknowledgment of Gwynn Zakov’s resignation. Noted and accepted.
Guest: Deputy Kevin Wilson, OCSD. Made no opening remarks but participated in the meeting.
Continuing Review of OCSD Activities, Reports and Bills. Deputy Wilson explained that OCSD is expecting a new Website from which Brookfield could obtain patrol logs. L Stowell requested that until that website is operational that those logs be provided either on paper or digitally.
OCSD Contract Recommendations: L Stowell will send modified recommendations to the Select Board.
Continuing Review of Parking Enforcement and Pond Village Traffic Signs on Stone Road. M Rutkovsky to check with WEC about Power line ROW. S Edson to check I-89 surveys.
Increasing Parking in Pond Village: Discussed the MacBruce property. L Stowell measured approximately 150′ by 75′ that might be useful. S Edson to go with R Peck to look at the property to see how much work it would take.  D Mason to talk with AOT District Engineer about parking signs at the floating bridge.
Reflective E-911 House Number Signs: D Mason reported that reflective E-911 house signs are 4″ by 14″ and cost $8.90 each. There are no volume discounts. Proposed and approved that the signs all be green. Signs may be have numbers horizontal or vertical at homeowner’s option. L Stowell will talk with T Godfrey and J Benson about the ordering process.
Discussion of movable radar speed display signs: Deputy Wilson offered to have the OCSD Speed Cart placed at Brookfield Elementary School for a few days and once the 25 MPH signs are in place to place it North of Pond Village on Stone Road for a few days. Other possible locations for the Speed Cart not to be used until and unless appropriate signs are in place.
June Public Safety Message: Original message to be used in July. New message to be written by L Stowell explaining new speed limits at Elementary School and Pond Village and also explaining details of the E-911 House Sign availability.  S Edson to post on Front Porch Forum.
Setting the Next Meeting: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 5:30 PM at the Town Office.
Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting: D Mason to talk with DMV Enforcement about a guest.
Adjournment: At 6:56 PM.

May 202018
 

BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Wednesday May 23, 2018 5:30 PM
Brookfield Town Office
Ralph Road, Brookfield, VT
AGENDA

Review and Approve Minutes of April 25, 2018. [4/25/18 Minutes]
Questions or Issues Brought by Members of the Public.
Acknowledgment of Gwynn Zakov’s resignation.
Guest: Deputy Kevin Wilson, OCSD.
Continuing Review of OCSD Activities, Reports and Bills. [OCSD Patrol Hours]
OCSD Contract Recommendations [Draft Recommendations]
Continuing Review of Parking Enforcement and Pond Village Traffic Signs on Stone Road.
Increasing Parking in Pond Village.
Reflective E-911 House Number Signs
Discussion of movable radar speed display signs. [OCSD Interview]
June Public Safety Message. [Draft Message]
Setting the Next Meeting.
Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting.
 Adjournment.

Apr 292018
 

BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Wednesday April 25, 2018 5:30 PM
Brookfield Town Office
Ralph Road, Brookfield, VT
UNAPPROVED MINUTES
The following members attended: Stuart Edson, Mike Stoddard, Dan Mason, Gwynn Zakov, Michael Rutkovsky and Lew Stowell.

Review and Approve Minutes of March 28, 2018: Reviewed and approved unanimously.
Questions or Issues Brought by Members of the Public: None attended.
Acknowledgment of Kevin Joyal’s resignation and past service to the committee and the town: Accepted with understanding of his new job schedule and thanks for his service to the committee and town.
Continuing Review of OCSD Activities, Reports and Bills: No March report and bill was available. Existing OCSD contract provided to members. Zakov recommended that Select Board be more specific about expectations of OCSD next year.  There was a discussion of what the new contract might say. Committee to send suggestions on additions to new contract with OCSD to the Select Board.
Continuing Review of Parking Enforcement and Pond Village Traffic Signs on Stone Road: Edson advised that Deputy Kevin Wilson is researching the situation. There was discussion of what laws or regulations are being violated. G. Zakov to send applicable portions of VSA to members.  S. Edson to look at deeds and surveys along Stone Road and the AOT website.
Increasing Parking in Pond Village: S. Edson and L Stowell to visit the McBrides.
Discussion of movable radar speed display signs: Northfield P.D. interview presented by L. Stowell. L. Stowell to email Sheriff Bohnyak on OCSD experience with radar speed display signs and availability of OCSD using theirs in Brookfield.
Familiarity with Brookfield Ordinances and plans: Ordinances and plans provided to members.
May Public Safety Message: Approved with improvements after discussion. Residents to be offered reflective metal E911 House Number Signs at cost. Mason to research details.
Ridge Road Sign Project: Completed last week to include removal of time signs at the school.
Setting the Next Meeting: May 23, 2018 at 5:30 PM.
Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting: L. Stowell to invite OCSD Deputy Kevin Wilson to be a guest on May 23.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 7:30 PM.

Mar 312018
 

BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY MARCH 28, 2018   5:30 PM
BROOKFIELD TOWN CLERK’S OFFICE  RALPH ROAD, BROOKFIELD, VT
UNAPPROVED MINUTES
The following members and guests attended: Stuart Edson, Kevin Joyal and Lew Stowell (members). Martin Prevost, Director of Licensing, Department of Liquor Control (Guest Speaker),  Dan Mason, Gwynn Zakov and Michael Rutkovsky (prospective members).

Review and Approve Minutes of February 28, 2018. Approved unanimously.
Explanation to Possible New Members with Materials. Brief background statement made by L. Stowell and distribution of copies of “A Guide to Open Meetings”- VT Secretary of State.
Questions or Issues Brought by Members of the Public. None attended.
Guest from the Vermont Department of Liquor Control, Martin Prevost, Director of Licensing. A very interesting presentation with questions and answers about the role of the Department of Liquor Control in both licensing and enforcement and how it could play in Brookfield. He emphasized the value of the role of local Select Boards in placing limitations on liquor licenses to fit local needs. His department is also charged with enforcement of under age drinking.
Continuing Review of OCSD Activities, Reports and Bills. The February OCSD bill was reviewed and discussed. Stowell will scan and email the current OCSD contract to the members.
Continuing Review of Parking Enforcement and Traffic Signs in Pond Village and on Stone Road. No visible improvement in the Stone Road parking situation yet.
Discussion of the March 6 Town Meeting as it Relates to the PSAC. L.. Stowell gave a brief report about the appreciation expressed in the Town Report and at the meeting by the Select Board for the Committee’s work in 2017.
Discussion of movable radar speed display signs. Interviews with Randolph Police Department and Traffic Safety Solutions were discussed but more research needs to be done.
Familiarity with Brookfield Emergency Plans. Local Emergency Operations Plan & Disaster Mitigation Plan were discussed briefly and members are to review them for next meeting.
April Public Safety Message. The message was approved and L Stowell will send a copy in Word to S. Edson to be put on the town website and to G. Zakov to put on Front Porch Forum.
Approval of Possible New Members willing to Serve. Dan Mason, Gwynn Zakov and Michael Rutkovsky were all willing to serve and were approved unanimously.
Setting the Next Meeting. April 25, 2018 at 5:30 at the Town Clerk’s Office.
Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting. None to be invited.  Committee needs time to work on existing issues.
 Adjournment.  The meeting was adjourned at 8:03 PM.

Mar 242018
 

BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Wednesday March 28, 2018 5:30 PM
Brookfield Town Office
Ralph Road, Brookfield, VT
AGENDA

Review and Approve Minutes of February 28, 2018. [2/28/18 Minutes]
Explanation to Possible New Members with Materials.
Questions or Issues Brought by Members of the Public.
Guest from the Vermont Department of Liquor Control, Martin Prevost, Director of Licensing.
Continuing Review of OCSD Activities, Reports and Bills [OCSD Patrol Hours]
Continuing Review of Parking Enforcement and Traffic Signs in Pond Village and on Stone Road.
Discussion of the March 6 Town Meeting as it Relates to the PSAC
Discussion of movable radar speed display signs. [Randolph PD Interview]
Familiarity with Brookfield Emergency Plans. [Local Emergency Operations Plan & Disaster Mitigation Plan]
March Public Safety Message. [Draft Message]
Approval of Possible New Members willing to Serve.
Setting the Next Meeting.
Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting.
 Adjournment.