Mar 302021
 

BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 24, 2021, 5:35 PM

The Brookfield Public Safety Advisory Committee met remotely by electronic means as warned.

UNAPPROVED MINUTES

The following members attended: Michael Rutkovsky, Mike Smith, Stuart Edson and Lew Stowell.  Guests: Jon Jickling and Kate Forrer.  Member of the public: Greg Wight attended.

  • 5:35 PM: Call to Order: There were no additions or deletions to the agenda.
  • Review and approve the February 24, 2021 meeting minutes. Approved 4-0
  • Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) Planning: Jon Jickling and Kate Forrer. Jon Jickling is to run for the soon to be vacant Town Forester position.  Traps to be deployed by June 1 and recovered by September 1.  Approximately ½ to be deployed this year and remainder next year.  Property owners will be recruited to host a trap.  Jon and Kate to develop a location list for traps as well as the over all plan.  EAB Surveillance plan to be presented at the April 21, 2021 meeting.  Kate to bring EAB outreach material to the Town Meeting in May.  The State Entomologist will provide identification of insects trapped and other technical assistance as needed.  GPS coordinates of trap locations will be shared with the Agency of Agriculture.
  • Review and Discussion of OCSD Activities including Patrol Hours, Reports and Bills: Only 8 hours were performed in February.   Stowell reported that $15,000 is in the FY 2022 Budget for OCSD Law Enforcement Services.  It was suggested that patrols stop occasionally at appropriate locations and conduct stationary radar surveillance for short periods of time in addition to moving radar while patrolling.  S. Edson to contact C. Taplin and M. Rutkovsky to contact L.E. Smith for more detail to include times occurring about speeding observed on West Street and Pond Village respectively.
  • 2021 Draft Speed Cart Plan: Approved without priorities assigned 4-0.  L Stowell to send the plan to Cpt. Clouatre.
  • Traffic Sign Status: Stowell reported that T. Higgins, Town Road Foreman ordered but has not yet received.50 traffic signs and posts.
  • Traffic Ordinance Status: Stowell reported that the proposed Traffic Ordinance is still at the Town Attorney’s office for review.  J. Kimmel is following up.
  • Parking in Pond Village: Stowell reported that J. Benson is meeting with T. Higgins soon to plan the expansion of Town Office parking lot this year. The Committee is looking at the parking situation on East side of Floating Bridge.
  • Weight Limit Status: Stowell reported that D. LaRocque is assisting K. Peterson to make entries in the State DMV data base for town roads with mud season weight restrictions.
  • Public Safety Advisory Committee Website and Email Use: No activity.
  • April Public Safety Message: Stowell will create it using past Spring messages as a guide.
  • Setting the Next Meeting: Wednesday, 4/21/2021 at 5:35 PM.  It will probably be a remote meeting.
  • Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting: Jon Jickling, Kate Forrer and Scott Clouatre will be invited by L. Stowell.
  • 6:59 PM Entertained a motion to adjourn the meeting. Passed 4-0.