Jun 262019
 

Town of Brookfield
Selectboard Meeting
June 10, 2019 at 6:30 P.M.
Town Clerk’s Office
Draft Minutes

Present: John Benson, Jeff Kimmel, Cory Haggett, Ray Peck (Road Crew Foreman), Dawn Conant, Lew Stowell (Public Safety Advisory Committee), and Sam Dilcer
1. Call to Order – 6:30 p.m.
2. Adjustments to Agenda – Mr. Dilcer will be first.
3. Public Comment: Mr. Dilcer inquired about the Board providing a letter regarding an old land records document that indicated there was an unclassified road/trail on his property. The road/trail does not show on the state’s Town Highway Map for Brookfield, and was not part of any activities in prior ancient roads reviews. Mr. Dilcer would like a formal acknowledgement from the Town that the road/trail does not exist. Mr. Kimmel will draft the letter and run it by the Town Attorney and get a copy out to the Board and Mr. Dilcer for review.
4. New Business:
A. Public Safety Advisory Committee: Mr. Stowell provided an update on what the Public Safety Advisory Committee has been up to (Status Report). He provided a brief discussion regarding items on a handout for the Board.
1. Orange County Sheriff’s Department: Contract
• OCSD may not provide full amount of patrol hours this fiscal year. We have not seen the bills for May or June yet. The PSAC would like any remaining amounts be used for signs or allocated to next year’s OCSD contract. Mr. Benson noted that due to the fiscal year ending soon, signs may not be ordered and get paid for in this fiscal year.
• The PSAC does not want to pay for having the OCSD attend Committee meetings. They recently billed the Town for 2 hours. This appears to be a change of policy; if so, then the PSAC wants to be able to choose when they would like OCSD representatives to attend meetings. PSAC would rather have the money spent on patrols than attending meetings. Mr. Benson suggested that Mr. Stowell contact the Department to verify plans for attending and billing time for meetings.
• PSAC is looking to have the Speed Cart placed at least 18 times during Spring, Summer, and Fall 2019. OCSD has been unable to provide data tallies in the last 2 years, as the resident flash drive was corrupted. PSAC suggests that they get the data from OCSD more frequently so this does not happen in the future. The Committee would like to get the information so they can focus where the cart is located and track patterns of activity.
• Mr. Stowell noted that the Town does not get charged for OCSD moving the cart.
2. Shortage of Parking in Pond Village: Mr. Stowell suggested that reconfiguring the Town Office parking lot might provide some relief; Mr. Haggett commented that the Board can look at the costs and feasibility of moving a utility pole located at the edge of the current lot. The Board can also consider the cost and feasibility of a change in the northern boundary to gain more area. Mr. Benson mentioned that we don’t want to have to do anything to trigger permitting, if at all possible. He will look at the configuration and a topo survey.
3. Emerald Ash Borer: the Committee is consulting with Kate Forrer (Town Forester) and continuing to gather information on what other Towns have done regarding this issue. The Committee will develop and recommend a plan to the Selectboard for using the $5,000 that was approved for initial EAB activities at Town Meeting 2019.
4. Stone Road Survey of Right-of-Way: the PSAC would ask the surveyor the Town picks to work with the Town Attorney to ensure the upcoming survey provides adequate support for any subsequent Town, OCSD, or State actions that might arise.
5. E-911 sign purchases: there have been 2 E-911 sign purchases so far. If we have to order more, they may cost a little more due to increased shipping fees.
6. Other PSAC Concerns: the Board does not have anything else at this time for the Committee. The Committee is working on key items now, and probably has enough issues to cover for the time being.

B. Highway
1. Training: the Town needs to arrange for training for any Road Crew employees who are hauling material, including from local sand and gravel pit sources. This would entail specifying job requirements along with associated training that’s triggered.
2. Ridge Road Paving Grant: the Town qualified for a $175,000 grant, with the Town incurring a 20% match requirement. Mr. Benson made a motion to accept the Ridge Road Paving Grant Award contingent upon Kasey Peterson (Administrative Assistant) verifying the Town’s match portion, Mr. Kimmel second; Mr. Benson asked if there was any discussion (none): 3-0-0.
3. VTrans Road Inventory Grant: the amount would be $7,120, with a Town match of $1,780. Mr. Benson made a motion that we accept the Grant amount contingent upon Mr. Peck investigating/confirming the desired amount, Mr. Kimmel second; Mr. Benson asked if there was any discussion (none): 3-0-0.
4. Two Rivers Grants in Aid FY2019/2020: it has been extended to June 30, 2020. Mr. Peck will review the Equipment Grant purchase portion and report back; the form needs to be returned in July. Mr. Benson made a motion to sign the Letter of Intent for planning purposes, Mr. Kimmel second; Mr. Benson asked if there was any discussion (none): 3-0-0.
5. Certificate of Highway Mileage: Mr. Kimmel will prepare the supporting documents and submit them to the State Agency of Transportation.
6. Other Highway Business:
• Mr. Peck needs to call ECFiber regarding line installation on McCready Road. If they plan to go across the Town (Public) ROW, he will need to review the proposal.
• Mr. Peck met with Dan Mason last week: there is significant damage on Taylor Hill Road. Ditches need digging out and the road needs to be built up.
• Witt’s Bridge Road: Kathleen Sauer has indicated that they do not want people damaging the area with inappropriate parking. The Road Crew can use the backhoe and remove 3-4 loads of material, which might be used for repairs on Eagle Peak Road.
• East Hill Extension Grant: the Town has a July 30 deadline to finish the work. The Road Crew could wait until the next fiscal year starts (July 1) to finish the project and work on getting sand trucked now. The Town could save 33% by using Town equipment; the Board recommended that the crew go ahead with trucking the material now.
• Mr. Peck will investigate purchasing a new one-ton truck for the next fiscal year. He will also consider whether and when to advertise sale of the current one-ton.
C. Orange County Sheriff Contract: Mr. Benson made a motion to approve the Orange County Sheriff’s Contract and that the contract shall not exceed $12,000 for the period July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020, Mr. Haggett second; Mr. Benson asked if there was any discussion (none): 3-0-0.
D. Stone Road Survey: the Board received a single bid from American Consulting (ACES) of Williamstown, VT for $4,200; additional cost of $125/hr., if needed. Mr. Benson commented that we need to call the company in response to their RFP bid and make sure they are fully aware of the scope of the work we are looking for. The Board then needs to prepare an agreement and have the Town Attorney review it. Mr. Haggett will also need to notify the landowner adjoining the survey area regarding the upcoming work.
5. Old Business:
A. Approve Meeting Minutes of May 27, 2019 Selectboard meeting: Mr. Haggett made a motion to approve the May 27, 2019 minutes, Mr. Kimmel second: 3-0-0.
B. Changes to the Personnel Policy: the Board still has revisions to the Personnel Policy, including language addressing training procedures and compliance. Ms. Peterson has also been offering recommendations.
C. Drug and Alcohol Policy: Mr. Kimmel offered one revision regarding regular employee testing and pre-employee testing, which the board “shall” require. Mr. Benson made a motion to approve the Brookfield Drug and Alcohol Policy with noted revisions, Mr. Kimmel second; Mr. Benson asked if there was any discussion (none): 3-0-0.
6. Payroll/AP Warrants: Mr. Haggett made a motion to pay the warrants totaling $20,974.73 with large bills that include White River Valley Ambulance (Ambulance): $3,596.25; Pike Industries, Inc. (East Hill Grant-in-aid): $3,440.55; Everett J. Prescott (East Hill Culverts): $2,343.60; Mr. Benson second: 3-0-0.
7. Other Proper Business:
• The trash collection on a particular Ridge Road property appears to be shrinking.
• Reminder: the next Board Meeting with be the final numbers/submissions for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2019.
• The Board needs to find a candidate for the open Administrative Officer (Zoning) position. Mr. Kimmel is acting as interim/temporary AO.

8. Mr. Kimmel made a motion to adjourn at 8:33 p.m., Mr. Haggett second: 3-0-0.