The Town of Brookfield
12 June 2017 at 6:30 PM
Town Clerk’s Office
Present: John Benson, Jeff Kimmel, Cory Haggett, Ray Peck, Kevin Joyal, Julie Benedict from WRVA. Kasey Peterson
- Call to Order – 6:33 p.m.
- Adjustments to the Agenda – none
- Public Comment – none
- New Business
- Pam Stafford has done a title review of the properties involved in the proposed boundary line adjustment for the Town Garage property. The only issue to be investigated further is the water rights to a spring on the adjoining property. Ms. Stafford will follow up on that issue.
- Benson made a motion to sign the agreement MR5059 with VTrans for the maintenance of Rte 65 for the period July 14, 2017- July 13 2019. Mr. Kimmel seconded. 3-0-0
- Kevin Joyal was present to complain about the dust on Rte 65. Dust was a major issue last year and the recent work by the VTrans contractor has not been effective in either keeping dust down or improving the condition of the road. Mr. Peck will follow-up once again with VTrans.
- Kimmel made a motion to send a letter of intent to Two River- Ottauquechee Regional Commission to participate in a pilot program for mapping roadways, erosion issues, and waterways in preparation for new permitting standards. Mr. Benson seconded. 3-0-0.
- Highway report
- Peck present a list of items to be purchased for the Highway Department before the end of the fiscal year. The list was compared to the current budget numbers and a number of items were selected for purchase.
- Despite the good weather, grading has been on hold due to a leaking hose. The leak was fixed on Monday June 12 and grading will resume.
- Benson made a motion to enter executive session to discuss personnel issues at 7:50. Mr. Kimmel seconded. 3-0-0. Mr. Benson made a motion to end executive session at 8:09. Mr. Kimmel seconded. 3-0-0
- Ambulance Service – Julie Benedict (Brookfield representative to White River Valley Ambulance) was present to discuss the division of the Town between Barre Town and WRVA. She felt it is unlikely that the change will take place in time for the new fiscal year as there are still many items that Barre Town needs to address. Splitting a district requires a change in EMS district membership for the north half of Brookfield, a change in license, permission to do it from the state, and an E-911 CAD map update. In addition the Town of Brookfield must provide population estimates for the split. Hopefully all these issues can be resolved by the end of October.
- Haggett made a motion to accept eleven month budget plans for heating oil for the Fire Department and the Town Office and propane for the Town Garage addition from Gillespie Fuels. Mr. Benson seconded. 3-0-0
- Kimmel made a motion to approve the Tatro Public Assemblage Permit as written. Mr. Benson seconded. 3-0-0
- Kimmel made a motion to sign the proposed audit contract with Fothergill, Segale and Valley. Mr. Haggett seconded. 3-0-0
- A request from the Brookfield Historical Society regarding the removal of stumps at the Marvin Newton House was discussed. The Historical Society was hoping the Highway Department could remove the stumps. Mr. Peck determined that the stumps are too large to be removed with Town equipment. Mr. Kimmel will contact the Historical Society to discuss other possible options.
- There was discussion on the current budget numbers and questions regarding contracts and payments that are made on a yearly basis. Everything seems to be up-to-date.
- Kimmel made a motion to approve the Orange County Sherriff’s Department Contract for annual service for the 2017-2018 fiscal year not to exceed $12,000. Mr. Haggett seconded. 3-0-0
- Old Business
- Benson made a motion to accept the minutes of the 22 May meeting. Mr. Haggett seconded. 3-0-0
- Payroll/AP Warrant
- Kimmel made a motion to approve the warrants in the amount of $22,084.02. Mr. Haggett seconded. 3-0-0 Large bills included WRVA: $6,460.00, R.E. Tucker: $6,225.80, and Bushey generator sales: $3,125.00.
- Other Proper Business – none
- Adjournment – Mr. Kimmel made a motion to adjourn at 8.51. Mr. Benson seconded. 3-0-0.