Town of Brookfield
August 12, 2019 at 6:30 P.M.
Town Clerk’s Office
Present: John Benson (Chair), Cory Haggett, Jeff Kimmel, Theresa Godfrey (Town Clerk/Treasurer), Ray Peck (Road Crew Foreman), Scott Wakefield
- Call to Order – 6:30 p.m.
- Adjustments to Agenda – None.
- Public Comment
Mr. Wakefield inquired about a right-of-way issue that had arisen regarding paths for their farm equipment, along with a related question about excess weight vehicles on the Town roads.
Mr. Benson asked if there was damage: as of now only grass was trampled down.
Mr. Benson mentioned that if damage is done to the right-of-way by loggers, etc., they must pay for it to be fixed, hence the need for the weight certificate.
Mr. Peck will review whether the road has been posted and what weight restrictions apply.
- New Business:
1. Certificate of highway mileage: Mr. Kimmel reported that the documentation was submitted to AOT several weeks ago; he will contact the agency to confirm the status.
2. Excess Weight Permits: the Town has been issuing the permits once applications are submitted along with the proper fee. Administrative Assistant Kasey Peterson provided of the written description of the process along with permit samples from other towns. The Town should check with VLCT to see what they recommend for permit protocol. Mr. Peck can also check with Chris Bump (AOT) to verify the posted limit for Northfield Road. There is also a question as to who would administer and enforce the weight limit policy. The Board will review the material and continue discussion at a subsequent meeting.
3. Other Highway
Mr. Peck received a call from a concerned citizen asking that the Road Crew clear and open up a Class 4 road. The cost (preliminary estimate to make it up to standards) could be upwards of $100,000. Mr. Peck will begin reviewing the Town’s Class 4 roads and inventory which need to be cleared and possibly opened and the potential costs for doing so.
The sand pile will be done before long. The Crew plans to tackle ditch work next.
The Board would like to meet with Mr. Grady on East Hill to review and discuss culverts and ditch lines at the eastern end of Taylor Hill Road. Mr. Peck will contact
Town of Brookfield Selectboard Meeting Minutes Page 2 of 2 August 12, 2019
Mr. Grady about arranging a meeting on August 26, prior to the regular Board meeting.
Mr. Benson and Mr. Peck will also meet regarding the Town Office parking lot and potential improvements, which will also be discussed at the next Selectboard meeting.
Mr. Benson asked if the Town had advertised the 1-ton truck for sale yet. Mr. Peck will work with Ms. Peterson to get the process going. Mr. Benson mentioned that the Town needs to sell the old truck before we can purchase a “new/used” truck for the Town.
B. Records Management and Retention Policy: Ms. Godfrey reported that the Town needs to have a policy in place in order to shred/recycle paperwork. Ms. Godfrey submitted copies of a potential records retention policy provided by the VT Secretary of State’s office for the Board to review and discuss at the next meeting.
C. Set the Tax Rate: Ms. Godfrey Theresa presented a proposed listing and calculation of municipal and total rates for Fiscal Year 2019/2020. Mr. Kimmel made a motion to approve the tax rates for FY 2019-2020, Mr. Haggett second; Mr. Benson asked for discussion (none): 3-0-0. The Municipal rate is $0.5040. Education rates are: Homestead rate: $1.4649; Non-Homestead rate: $1.4862. D. Town Office Building Repair: the Town received an invoice for $2,250, which was approved in the warrants.
D. Town Office Building Repair: the Town received an invoice for $2,250, which was approved in the warrants.
5. Old Business:
A. Approve Minutes of July 22, 2019 meeting: Mr. Haggett made a motion to approve the Meeting Minutes of July 22, 2019 as amended, Mr. Kimmel second; Mr. Benson asked for discussion (none): 3-0-0.
B. Personnel Policy Changes: Mr. Kimmel will review with Ms. Peterson.
6. Payroll/AP Warrants: Mr. Kimmel made a motion to pay the warrants totaling $20,030.21, with large bills that include R E Tucker (road reconstruction): $9251.20; Pike Industries Inc. (paving): $2,264.27; Arcadia Restoration LLC, (building maintenance): $2,250.00; Mr. Haggett second; Mr. Benson asked for discussion (none): 3-0-0.
7. Other Proper Business:
Trash issue at Ridge Road property: trash is now filling the shed and dumpster. Letter from the Town attorney was sent.
Mr. Benson requested comments from Mr. Kimmel and Mr. Haggett regarding the RFP for the Town Garage project. Would like to get it posted by this Friday or the timing will get pushed back and not allow enough time for the Selectboard to warn the project for Town Meeting 2020. The Board decided to allocate up to $15,000 for this RFP Design/Build Phase.
8. Mr. Kimmel made a motion to adjourn at 7:54 p.m., Mr. Haggett second: 3-0-0