Minutes of the Brookfield Selectboard Meeting
10 January 2022
Held at the Town Clerk’s Office
Those present: John Benson, Chair, Jeff Kimmel, Betty Lord, members; Vicki Blanchard, Administrative Assistant; Amy Ingrassia, Assistant Town Clerk. Attending by phone: Kate Threlkeld, member. Mr. LaRocque was absent.
A. CALL TO ORDER – Mr. Benson called the Selectboard Meeting to order at 6:33pm
B. ADJUSTMENT TO THE AGENDA – None
C. PUBLIC COMMENTS – None
D. HIGHWAY REPORT
1. Traffic Ordinance Update – (Public Safety Advisory Committee) This subject was tabled till the next meeting.
2. Mr. Higgins (Road Crew Foreman) and Mr. LaRocque (Road Commissioner) had reported normal seasonal plowing, sanding and ditching activities, along with continuing grader work done by the Road Crew. Mr. Higgins was working on grant project report and is considering contracting out work on the Bear Hill Road. Mr. Kimmel will verify the annual Highway Mileage Report with Mr. Higgins.
E. NEW BUSINESS
1. Halfway Brook Culvert Application – Mr. Benson said the Local Hazard Plan needs to be in place before 1/14/2022.
2. Designated Representative Authority/ Selectboard Assistant – Mr. Benson would like Mr. LaRocque to check with Mr. Higgins that he verifies with the Board before he purchases and signs for items. Also, Ms. Blanchard is to get approval for any purchases or signing any paperwork that might need to be submitted in a timely manner.
3. 2022 Mileage Certification – Mr. Benson made a motion that after Mr. Kimmel reviews the Certification with Mr. Higgins that he can sign the 2022 Mileage Certification form; Ms. Lord seconded the motion which was unanimously approved 4-0-0.
4. Amendment #1 on the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan Services that Mr. Kimmel is reviewing with the Two Rivers – Ottauquechee Regional Commission (TRORC). Mr. Kimmel said Victoria Littlefield has the plan ready to sign off on.
5. Local Hazard Mitigation Plan (TRORC) – Review and Adoption – Mr. Kimmel presented to the Selectboard the proposed LHMP prepared by TRORC. The Board had a brief discussion about the plan and Mr. Benson made a motion that the Board adopt the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan as prepared by TRORC. Mr. Kimmel seconded the motion which was unanimously approved 4-0-0
6. ARPA Funds final guidance – Mr. Benson suggest that the board come up with a list of possible uses for the funds. If we do not use the funds it will need to be sent back.
F. OLD BUSINESS
1. Brookfield Cemeteries – Sexton Duties – Tabled again.
2. Preliminary Budget Discussion – Review the preliminary budget
G. MEETING MINUTES
1. 27 December 2021 – Mis Lord made a motion to accept the 27 December 2021 minutes and Ms. Threlkeld seconded the motion which was unanimously approved. 4-0-0
H. PAYROLL AND AP WARRANTS
1. Ms. Lord made a motion to approve the AP Warrants as presented with a total of $33,959.18 with the highest payment being paid to Everett J. Prescott for culverts in the amount of $8,442.00. Ms. Threlkeld seconded the motion which carried unanimously. 4-0-0
I. OTHER PROPER BUSINESS
1. Ms. Lord went over the progress on the in color cover for the Annual Report.
2. Mr. Benson reported that VTC sent a letter thanking the Town for Brenda Flint memorial scholarship fund donation.
3. Mr. Benson made a motion to accept the Orange County Sheriff Department’s contract fees for the next fiscal year. The total is not to exceed $16,250.00. Mr. Kimmel seconded the motion which carried unanimously. 4-0-0
4. Mr. Benson asked the board if the members thought they should go back to using zoom for upcoming meetings; the board decided that in-person for Board members only would be fine and that any in-person public or persons that wanted to attend would have to be admitted one at a time and have to wear a mask.
5. Mr. Benson reported that he contacted the Orange Southwest School District Superintendent regarding Town Meeting day in March and was told we could use the Brookfield school site if COVID calmed down, but with this new outbreak it did not seem like enough time to have it safely held inside. The Selectboard decided that May would be the better time to have it held outside. Ms. Lord made a motion to move the Town Meeting to 21 May, 2022 outside at the Brookfield elementary school. Mr. Kimmel seconded the motion which carried unanimously 4-0-0
6. Mr. Benson also suggested installing a radio repeater in at the school; the school is willing to entertain it and there is adequate money in the budget.
7. Mr. Benson wants to remind anyone running for a seat on the Selectboard and planning to be at the Town Meeting on 21 May, 2022 that they need to wear a mask.
8. Mr. Benson made a motion to go into Executive Session at 8:12pm to discuss personnel issues. Ms. Lord seconded the motion which was passed unanimously 4-0-0 After the discussion, Mr. Kimmel made a motion to come out of Executive Session at 8:50pm, Mr. Benson seconded the motion which was unanimously approved 4-0-0
1. Mr. Benson made a motion to adjourn at 8:55pm and Ms. Lord seconded the motion and there being no further business to come before the Board, the meeting was unanimously adjourned.