Town of Brookfield Selectboard Meeting
August 8, 2022
Present: John Benson, Chair; Betty Lord, Curtis Koren, Stuart Edson, Keith Sprague, members; Vicki Blanchard, Administrative Assistant; Amy Ingrassia, Assistant Treasurer; David Christensen, Ben Koren.
A. Call To Order – Mr. Benson called the Selectboard meeting to order at 6:30 pm
B. Adjustments to Agenda – Move Permit to Oktoberfest from New Business to before Public Comments and move David Christensen – Wind Turbine right after.
1. Permit to Oktoberfest – Mr. Ben Koren attended to discuss the October 8, 2022 Oktoberfest setup. Mr. Benson said that any signs used should be larger than last year and Mr. Koren said this would be done. The village will only be closed during the 5 mile race and that the sheriff will be present as well as other security measures. Mr. Edson made a motion to accept the October 8 Public Assemblage Permit for the Oktoberfest, Mr. Sprague seconded the motion and it was carried unanimously 3-0-2 Mrs. Lord and Mrs. Koren abstained as they are both members of the Board of the Brookfield Community Partnership that is requesting the permit.
2. David Christensen – Wind Turbine on 734 Old Post Road – Mr. Christensen said this would be a 100 foot tower to be used for his energy source on his property only. He approached the Selectboard to have his site a preferred site for the turbine. Mr. Edson made a motion that the Selectboard approve Mr. Christensen’s location as a preferred site for a wind turbine, Ms. Lord seconded the motion and it was carried unanimously 5-0-0
C. Public Comments
1. Chris White – Cannabis discussion – Mr. White did not attend.
D. Payroll and AP Warrants – Ms. Lord made a motion to approve the AP Warrants as presented with a total $20,178.10 with the highest payment being made to RE Tucker in the amount of $15,407.00. Ms. Koren seconded the motion which carried unanimously 5-0-0
E. Highway Report – Mr. Sprague reported that the new truck arrived last week. The crew graded in West Brookfield and Stone Road as well as took care of some maintenance and stockpiled some hard pack from RE Tucker. Some chloride was put down on the dusty spots on Stone Road. There will be a delivery of chloride this week and depending on weather will put down more chloride and then get back to more grading. The well at the garage has gone dry again but hopefully over the weekend has recovered. The site for the new well is prepped and ready for the well driller. This has been pushed back until September due to weather. Ms. Lord will call the well driller to let them know the about the problem with the old well and hopefully can get them here sooner. Mr. Higgins has Radio North coming this week to install a radio in new truck as well as looking at the school to place a repeater for better reception for the highway department. Mr. Higgins is looking for some guide lines on chloride usage and Mr. Sprague will ask Mr. Higgins to prepare a proposal regarding chloride usage. Mr. Sprague mentioned that a third person needs to be hired soon to make sure that winter road maintenance is able to be done. Ms. Koren made a motion to have Mr. Sprague come up with an advertising strategy to obtain a full or part time road crew person, Mr. Edson seconded the motion which was carried unanimously 5-0-0
Mr. Sprague will contact WB Rogers regarding getting a schedule on the four different projects he will be doing starting with Eagle Peak Road. Mr. Benson made a motion to have Mr. Sprague sign an Exemption Certificate on the new truck, Ms. Lord seconded the motion which was carried unanimously 5-0-0.
F. New Business
1. David Christensen – Wind Turbine on 734 Old Post Road – moved to B.
2. Permit for Oktoberfest – moved to B.
3. Four Public Assemblage Permits to approve – The Selectboard reviewed four permits scheduled for the next few weeks and then Mr. Edson made a motion to approve all the Public Assemblage Permits, Mr. Sprague seconded the motion which carried unanimously 5-0-0
G. Old Business – none
H. July 25, 2022 Meeting Minutes – A correction was offered under the Other Proper Business section. Mr. Benson made a motion to accept the July 25, 2022 minutes as amended, Mr. Sprague seconded the motion which carried unanimously 4-0-0
I Other Proper Business
1. White River Valley Consortium Working Communities Challenge report from June 30 – Ms. Koren reported that she attended a meeting with the WRV Consortium Working Communities and said that funding for housing is available thru the Federal Bank of Boston. Their purpose is to help towns to get funding for small businesses looking for housing for their workers. The Selectboard felt this group would work better in a larger city or town but talked about having a committee to discuss the need.
2. Heat Pump – There were two quotes that came in on the Heat Pump for the Town office and the Board is waiting for a change on one of them so this will be discussed at the next meeting.
3. Route 14 Notice to Cease and Desist letter – There is no action that the Selectboard needs to take.
4. Cannabis – Mr. Benson reported that the VLTC attorney said if anyone wants to do retail sales then there would have to be a Town vote at town meeting. Anyone that wants to do this would have have to get a license first, the town would have to opt in and then it would have to go to zoning for approval.
5. Art on the Farm Public Assemblage permit was presented by Mr. Sprague which is happening on August 27, 2022 at the Sprague Farm. After reviewing the permit Mr. Benson made a motion to approve the permit, Ms. Koren seconded the motion which was carried unanimously 4-0-1 with Mr. Sprague abstaining.
J. Adjournment – Ms. Lord made a motion to adjourn at 9:41 pm, Mr. Sprague seconded the motion and there being no further business to come before the Board, the meeting was unanimously adjourned.