BROOKFIELD SELECT BOARD
Town Clerk’s Office
Meeting of Monday, February 13, 2017
- The meeting was called to order at 6:30 P.M.
Members present: John Benson, Chair; Jeff Kimmel, and Cory Haggett
Others present: Teresa Godfrey (Town Clerk/Treasurer), Julie Benedict.
- Adjustments to Agenda – none
- Old Business:
The minutes of the January 23, 2017 Selectboard meeting were approved as amended: Mr. Hagget motioned, Mr. Kimmel seconded, 3-0-0.
- New Business:
- Teresa Godfrey presented information regarding the potential purchase of a new copier for the Town Clerk’s Office. After researching the issues, Ms. Godfrey obtained a bid proposal for a Savin MP 2554 copier from Magee Office Products. Options included: purchasing the machine for $3,450.00, or leasing for $68 per month for a 5-year term. A maintenance contract would be $280.00 annually, and there would be a $75 processing fee. Delivery would be within 3 weeks.
The Board contacted a sales representative from Magee to provide further information about the purchase vs. lease options, the terms of the maintenance contract and warranty, and other options available for service.
After discussion, the Board voted to authorize Ms. Godfrey to arrange for purchase of the new copier, including the maintenance contract and an additional option for pre-buying 4 hours of software/connectivity consulting. The Board also asked Ms. Godfrey to find out if the maintenance and software/connectivity billings could be postponed until July 1, 2017 to fit with our fiscal year. Mr. Benson motioned, Mr. Haggett seconded, 3-0-0.
- Julie Benedict (Brookfield’s representative to White River Valley Ambulance) reported on her discussions with WRVA and their current Board operations. Mr. Benson inquired about ongoing coordination with Barre Town emergency services, and WRVA financial conditions. Ms. Benedict reported that WRVA and Barre Town have started discussions regarding each service’s coverage in Brookfield. WRVA finances appear to be in good shape, according to Ms. Benedict, citing the work of Steve Webster.
In terms of operations, Gifford Medical Center provides medical direction, Compucount is covering accounting, and Barre City is pursuing delinquent billings. Ms. Benedict observed that WRVA, its Board, and administration are also working to improve overall planning and operations.
- Town Credit Card authority: Ms. Godfrey reported that she will inquire with the credit card company about proper signature and usage procedures.
- Town Highways
- Chelsea Mountain Road: Mr. Haggett reported that there was no new information. Road Crew Foreman Ray Peck is continuing discussions with Randolph about appropriate and efficient maintenance measures for the small portion of Chelsea Mountain Road located in Brookfield.
- Certificate of Highway Mileage: Mr. Benson is compiling information on highway activities that occurred in 2016, and will file the certificate.
- Highway Department Anniversary Dates and Leave Accrual: Section 19 of the Personnel Policy addresses the issue.
- TRORC FY19 Capital Projects Prioritization: the Board reviewed the material, and will inquire with TRORC about whether the section of VT Route 14 at the north end of Town should be included.
- Haggett reported that Steve Allen complimented the Town on its response to a chimney fire. Mr. Allen also asked whether the Highway Department could look at the need for guardrails in the northern VT Route 14 & Taylor Hill Road area.
- Haggett reported that a resident had concerns about snow removal in the Witts Bridge Road area, and that Mr. Peck would follow up.
- A Road Crew member inquired about potential use of vacation time in March; Mr. Haggett will follow up.
- Michael Palmer Permit: Mr. Benson wanted to verify with the state Department of Environmental Conservation about the inclusion of a fire hydrant in the permit conditions.
- Town Credit Application – Evans Group Inc.: tabled.
- File Cabinet Replacement: the Board discussed options for replacement of the cabinet damaged during a prior break-in at the Town Clerk’s Office. The Town is also looking at the need to replace the main vault door.
- Green Mountain Power – Street Light Bulb Replacement: the Board commented that this work was done a couple years ago, and asked Ms. Peterson to follow up with GMP.
- Payroll and AP Warrants:
The Board approved payment of warrants in the amount of $64,563.91; including leading items of $36,180.59 (Orange County Treasurer), $3,433.80 (BCBS), $2,080.85 (Gillespie Fuels) (Mr. Haggett motioned, Mr. Kimmel second, passed 3-0-0).
Meeting adjourned at 8:50 p.m. (Mr. Kimmel motioned, Mr. Haggett second, passed 3-0-0).