Dec 062017

Town of Brookfield

Selectboard Meeting

November 27, 2017 at 6:30 P.M.

Town Clerk’s Office

Draft Minutes


Present: John Benson (Chair), Jeff Kimmel, Cory Haggett, Ray Peck (Road Crew Foreman), Dawn Conant


  1. Call to Order – 6:30 p.m.


  1. Adjustments to Agenda – None.


  1. Public Comment – None, as no public at meeting.


  1. New Business:


  1. Highway Department:


  1. Peck reported that things are going well. The sander has been put on the 1-ton truck, and just needs to be adjusted to spread properly. Mr. Peck is getting a set of chains for the rear, but has them for the front already.
  2. Allis State Park: turnaround is cleared and “No Parking” signs have been ordered.
  3. The Road Crew has been running sand the last few days, based on road conditions.
  4. Spent 3 days ditching before the snow returned. Rowley, Rood Pond, and Crossover Roads are done.
  5. Peck will contact Wes Gibbs (OSSD) regarding the radio repeater with the school.
  6. Peck brought in a letter that describes the advantages to the Town in buying a new 10-wheeler truck for the Highway Department; the Selectboard will be proposing the purchase at the March 2018 Town Meeting as part of the regular replacement schedule. The new truck would use the same tires as the other trucks. Mr. Benson asked if the bigger truck will fit in the garage, which Mr. Peck affirmed.
  7. Benson reported that he contacted Town Attorney Pam Stafford regarding the status of the impending purchase of additional land for the Town Garage, but heard nothing before the meeting tonight. He mentioned that Ms. Stafford’s assistant is drafting the document and needs to have her look at it. All back taxes have been dealt with on the Kidder property. Landowner Rose Baier needs to verify with her bank that Ms. Stafford is authorized to discuss the transaction with Ms. Staffford. The hope is to have the land deal wrapped up by the end of the year.
  8. In light of the pending property expansion, the Board and Mr. Peck discussed storage areas at the Town Garage. Mr. Haggett will review the original plans and see how far the property extends. Mr. Peck reported that he had also investigated the likelihood of encountering ledge in operations on the North side of the property. Mr. Peck stated that we need a space to park the salt truck; Mr. Benson suggested moving the shed and put up a structure with a concrete slab underneath. Mr. Peck raised the possibility of adding on to the garage, which led to a discussion of various short- and long-term storage options and the need to assess the various options, costs, and practical considerations. The Board and Highway Department should work on a plan to address these questions.

Mr. Benson asked Mr. Peck to start working on his ideas by submitting sketches along with estimated costs; Mr. Benson will get Mr. Peck orthophotos to scale that will help Mr. Peck get started.

  1. Continuing VT Route 65 work: the road has been resurfaced. The contractor called to have it re-sanded and Mr. Peck delivered 16 yards of sand on the road. Peck asked if we are to continue to provide sand if requested, and Mr. Benson suggested he contact the VTrans project coordinator to determine what items the Town would supply and who would be responsible for the costs. Mr. Peck reported that he was unsure of how long the Rt. 65 project would continue, but he thought the new materials used by the state were an improvement.
  2. Haggett asked about a $453 bill for the International, which Mr. Peck stated was for maintenance repairs on the equipment.
  3. Benson asked about the trade-in value on the existing International truck we have towards the proposed 10 wheeler. Mr. Peck said he would have the truck appraised. Mr. Peck also stated his preference for a Freightliner replacement vehicle based on price and service. Mr. Benson wants to ensure that price quotes are accurate, and will not shift after the Board has prepared the Town Budget and Town Meeting warning.
  4. Benson inquired as to FEMA projects status: Mr. Peck said Administrative Assistant Kasey Peterson has closed out the Northfield Road project and that Brookfield should be reimbursed quickly. McReady Road is also done, and further work will occur on Parker and Gilbert pending resolution of funding. Mr. Benson noted that Ms. Peterson can clarify whether these are separate projects or one large project, along with whether we need to get anything done (inspection etc.) to get them closed out and paid or do we have to wait until all are done.
  5. Peck stated he has not seen Ms. Zeto (TRORC) about the East Hill project and the $14,000 grant for that work. He believes Mrs. Peterson is taking care of this.
  6. Benson stated that Stuart Edson has a copy of the road inventory software, and the Board will follow up with him on timing and costs.


  1. Temporary Administrative Assistant for Meeting Minutes: Mr. Benson invited Ms. Conant to take minutes for the Selectboard Meetings for the upcoming months. Haggett mentioned that there is funding for this position.  Mr. Benson will have Mrs. Peterson provide the necessary paperwork to be filled out.


  1. Reschedule Second Meeting in December: due to the second meeting for December falling on Christmas, it was decided to change the meeting date to December 28, 2017 at 6:30 p.m.


  1. Town Credit Card: the Town will need to closely monitor use of any credit card(s). If abused we would know about it within a month during the billing cycle. Mr. Benson inquired whether we really need more than one card and whose name on it: Ray Peck, Kasey Peterson, and/or Teresa Godfrey.  Mr. Haggett will talk with Mr. Peck and Ms. Peterson to see who would be responsible for the cards and where will they be kept?


  1. Old Business: Mr. Kimmel had one question on the minutes regarding spelling of Ted Hinds name. Mr. Kimmel made a motion to approve (as amended) the minutes of the November 13, 2017 meeting, Mr. Haggett seconded. 3-0-0


  1. Warrants: Mr. Kimmel had a question on a bill.  Wanted to know if $3,192 was paid last time? It was confirmed that it was paid at the last Selectboard Meeting on November 13, 2017.  Mr. Haggett made a motion to pay the warrants totaling $231,565.78. Large bills include Pike Industries, Inc. (storm damage July and 2017 Pavement – associated with reconstruction of Northfield Road – eligible for 80% FEMA reimbursement); $217,948.31; $3,796.16 Barre City Treasurer (dispatch service); $3,796.16; R.E. Tucker: $3,418.80 (gravel). Mr. Kimmel seconded. 3-0-0.


  1. Other Proper Business: no other business discussed.


  1. Mr. Haggett made a motion to adjourn at 7:27 p.m., Mr. Kimmel seconded. 3-0-0