Meeting Minutes of the Brookfield Conservation Commission
Present: Sue Shea, Jon Jickling, Starr Strong Absent: Jon Binhammer
F2F and Zoom meeting came to order at 7:00 PM
- Review Agenda
- Public Comment There was no one from the public in attendance
- Approval of Minutes of the June 2022 meeting. Approved.
- Town forest plan- AJ Follensbee, County forester and the Conservation Commission members discussed the draft forest management plan recently developed by AJ . The CC supported the proposed forest management on the bulk of the forest. The CC were complimentary to the written plan format and content which provides clear description of the forest, management goals and specific recommendations. CC supported the creation of reserve areas proposed and suggested creating a connection between the two reserve blocks. The proposed harvest of the declining pine plantation was supported with suggestion of retaining larger healthy pine throughout the forest to enhance stand structure. CC also suggested establishment of oaks in appropriate areas to anticipate changing climatic conditions. AJ is going to produce a new version for the review of the CC and for discussions with the Selectboard and the public.
- Fall field trip – Given changing weather and upcoming hunting season, it was decided to not organize a field trip in the fall, but rather look to organizing a wintertime outing e.g. snowshoeing.
- Adjourn – Meeting Adjourned at 8:20 PM next meeting on November 21st,