CORRECTED MINUTES of the Brookfield Selectboard Meeting
February 28, 2022 See Old Business – ARPA funds discussion
Held at the Town Clerk’s Office
Present: John Benson, Chair; Jeff Kimmel, Betty Lord, Dennis LaRocque, Kate Threlkeld (by phone) Members; Vicki Blanchard, Administrative Assistant. Amy Ingrassia, Assistant Town Clerk; Jon Binhammer, Dan Mason.
A. CALL. TO ORDER – Mr. Benson called the Selectboard meeting to order at 6:35 p.m.
B. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA – none
C. PUBLIC COMMENTS
1. Mr. Mason reported an animal incident in town which ended with one animal deceased. There were no vet fees. Mr. Benson made a motion that payment will go directly to the owner of the deceased animal and Mr. Mason will relay this message. The owner of the deceased animal mentioned ticketing the owner of the loose animal and if that happens a civil action could be brought to the Selectboard by the owner of the deceased animal.
2. Mr. Binhammer wanted to make a suggestion for ARPA funding regarding the stormwater runoff issue at the Town Clerk’s Office parking lot. Mr. Benson said there is a plan in place but the Town Road Crew were having trouble finding time to do the job.
D. HIGHWAY REPORT – The Town is currently down one Road Crew employee and there were a number of problems with both trucks, but they are fixed and working again. The grader had a problem also but that is fixed also. The crew worked on ruts, sanding, and plowing. The Selectboard also discussed re-advertising for the open position, and/or contacting one of the previous applicants. Mr. Benson and Mr. LaRocque will initially contact the previous applicant.
E. NEW BUSINESS – Roadside swale and bridge repair Request(s) for Proposals – Mr. Benson put together the RFPs for vote and Ms. Lord made a motion to put both proposals out to bid; Mr. LaRocque seconded the motion, which was carried unanimously: 5-0-0.
F. OLD BUSINESS
1. Budget Discussions – Discussions continued on steps to finalize the budget.
2. Audit needs to be signed – Mr. Benson made a motion to approve his signing the Audit for the Town of Brookfield, which was prepared by Fothergill Segale & Valley Certified Public Accounts on 6/30/2021. Mr. LaRocque seconded the motion, which was carried unanimously: 5-0-0.
3. ARPA Funds discussion – Ms. Lord reported that she along with Ms. Blanchard attended a webinar presented by the Two Rivers Ottauquechee Regional Commission (TRORC). The next step will be to get registered on the ARPA Portal.
4. Hippo Park discussion – Ms. Lord said a committee has been formed, and they want to get estimates together so they know what is needed and then get the Town’s approval to complete the work. There is grant money available for park projects, and there may also be Town money available, as discussed at the February 14, 2022 Board Meeting.
G. MEETING MINUTES – 14 February 2022: Mr. Kimmel made a motion to accept the 14 February 2022 Selectboard meeting minutes, Ms. Threlkeld seconded, and the motion was carried unanimously: 5-0-0.
H. PAYROLL and AP WARRANTS – Ms. Lord made a motion to approve the AP warrants as presented with a total of $73,985.03, with the highest payment being made to Orange County Treasurer in the amount of $39,310.37. Mr. Kimmel seconded the motion, which carried unanimously: 5-0-0.
J. OTHER PROPER BUSINESS – none
K. ADJOURNMENT – Mr. Benson made a motion to adjourn at 7:45 p.m. Ms. Lord seconded the motion and there being no further business to come before the Board, the meeting was unanimously adjourned.