Brookfield Listers Minutes for the 2016 Grievance Hearings Held June 2nd (4:30 to 7:00 p.m.) and June 4th (9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon), Brookfield Town Office Listers in attendance on both dates: Stuart Edson, Teresa Godfrey, Phyllis Humez
Tina Golon, a Century 21 real estate agent, represented David Simendinger for grieving the assessed value of Mr. Simendinger’s property listed under the name of C-Store Contracting:
- At this time, there is no dwelling on the land but there has been in the past – with water and septic.
- The owner would like Brookfield’s assessed value of the property to align more closely with fee appraisals provided by a fee appraiser and the real estate agent. 3. No one knows where the septic is located. 4. Drilled well is thought to be present.
Patricia Mercier grieved the assessed value of her property because the town’s road now runs quite close to one corner of the house: 1. Requested consideration of a decrease in the value of the land between house and road, because according to the Right of Way rules, all of the lawn between house and road could be considered as town property. 2. Informed Listers of how the cellar wall was constructed (circa 1850) in a step formation that extends under the lawn, away from the home’s visible exterior wall, possibly resulting in part of the wall meeting the boundary between lawn and road.
Everett Kettler grieved the assessed value of his land in Brookfield.
- Much of the property is too wet to be farmed, and there are steep ravines throughout the wooded area.
George “Skip” Buck grieved the assessed value of his property:
- A portion of his parcel has been designated (per State law) as the site for a neighbor’s back-up septic system if ever the neighbor’s existing system fails. This means that that land cannot be built upon.
- As we looked at maps together, Mr. Buck also sought the Listers’ advice on where else there might be a possible right-of-way to the back acreage. This was something beyond our expertise, so we suggested he consult another town official, or an engineer, or an expert in excavation and construction.
Respectfully submitted by the Brookfield Listers: Stuart Edson, Teresa Godfrey, Phyllis Humez