BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY JULY 29, 2020, 5:30 PM
BROOKFIELD CONGREGATION CHURCH (Corner of RT 65 and Ridge Rd, Basement)
The following members attended: Stuart Edson, Michael Rutkovsky, Mike Stoddard and Lew Stowell; Guests: Jeff Kimmel, Select Board Member and Road Commissioner, Cpt Scott Clouatre, OCSD.
- 5:30 PM: Call to Order No additions or deletions made to the agenda
- Review and approve of Unapproved Minutes June 24, 2020 meeting. Approved 4-0-0
- Open public comment period- No members of the public attended.
- GUEST: Jeff Kimmel, Brookfield Select Board: In addition to the big picture view of the Select Board of the Highway Department and its function, Jeff provided the plan forward for the Road Crew after the loss of Ray Peck. Rob Wheatley is the interim Foreman and a successor is being actively sought. Counseling for the staff is available through the VLTC.
- Continuing Review of OCSD Activities, Reports and Bills to include:
- Patrol Hours and Budget-CPT Clouatre said that OCSD is down 5 officers and is making active efforts to recruit and retain officers. He suggested that the Select Board could negotiate a more precise contract for FY2022 with the Sheriff.
- Speed Cart Results- There have been 6 deployments already this year. The Speed Cart manufacturer is sending a technician out to check out the recent data anomalies provided by the cart. The cart will be deployed on West Street next.
- Other- More active traffic enforcement can be expected now that “the Spigot” has been opened a little bit more.
- Parking in Pond Village- The expansion of the Town Office parking lot should be completed this Summer.
- Town Over Weight and Over Sized System Project Progress- Northfield Road is to be entered on the DMV weight restriction website soon.
- E-911 Sign and Traffic Sign Status- Signs purchased with FY 2020 funds and signs to be purchased with FY 2021 funds to be used mostly to properly post roads with speed limits listed in the Town Traffic Ordinance. The committee will be tasked to review the Traffic Ordinance and bring it up to date.
- Emerald Ash Borer Progress- Jeff Kimmel to check on a good storage area for the EAB traps.
- Public Safety Advisory Committee Website Use- The Public Safety page of the town website has had 121 hits in the last 6 months.
- August Public Safety Message- Will include mandatory mask usage.
- Setting the Next Meeting- August 26, 2020 at 5:30 PM at the Congregational Church.
- Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting- None to be invited.
- Entertain a motion to adjourn the meeting- Adjourned at 6:55 PM.