BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2021, 5:30 PM
The Brookfield Public Safety Advisory Committee met in person as warned.
The following members attended: Mike Stoddard, Dan Mason, Michael Rutkovsky, Stuart Edson and Lew Stowell. Kate Threlkeld, Select Board Member and Todd Eaton, Program Manager Vermont Local Road Program also attended.
- 5:30 PM: Called to Order. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda or members of the public attending.
- The September 22, 2021 meeting minutes were approved as written. 5-0-0 in favor.
- Presentation: Resources and Ideas for Safety on Town Roads Todd Eaton, Branch Manager, Vermont Local Roads (VLR), Vermont Agency of Transportation. Todd explained his program as a federally mandated program for the State to assist municipal highway departments. They are primarily focused on training and technical assistance for municipal highway crews however have provided resources for the Public Safety Committee in the past and will in the future. L Stowell will check with Tim Higgins and Dennis LaRocque to be sure that the Highway Department is receiving timely information about courses, technical assistance and other opportunities being offered. In particular was a software program to document resources such as bridges, culverts, equipment, etc. There could be some Covid-19 funds for safety programs.
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety. The committee members were saddened by the recent pedestrian accident on Churchill Road. Stowell presented Jon Binhammer’s email. The pedestrian and bicycle safety effort initially focused on Pond Village will be expanded to all the town and State roads in Brookfield. A draft pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Improvement Suggestion List will be reviewed and added to by committee members for the November meeting. The future monthly safety messages will include at least one tip relating to pedestrian and bicycle safety. The safety tips will include educating the public on State laws that may have changed since they took the driver’s exam.
- Review and Discussion of OCSD Activities including Patrol Hours, Reports and Bills. The September bill was reviewed. L Stowell to check on the August bill.
- Speed Cart Deployments. The East Brookfield deployment was reviewed. Stowell to contact Scott Clouatre about using the data to patrol during probable times and places of high-speed offenders.
- Traffic, Road Name and Weight Limit Sign Status. Not aware of action from the Select Board.
- Traffic Ordinance Status. Not aware of action from the Select Board.
- Parking Issues in Brookfield. The committee is continuing to explore the best solutions for parking at the Floating Bridge.
- November Public Safety Message. Stowell to create the message with a focus on educating the public about pedestrian and bicycle safety.
- Setting the Next Meeting. November 17, 2021 at the Brookfield Congregational Church at 5:30 PM
- Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting. Stowell will invite either Tim Higgins, Road Crew Foreman or the new VSP Lieutenant in Royalton depending upon availability.
- Entertained a motion to adjourn the meeting. Approved adjourning meeting at 6:58 by 5-0-0.