BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 21, 2021, 5:35 PM
The Brookfield Public Safety Advisory Committee met remotely by electronic means as warned.
The following members attended: Michael Rutkovsky, Mike Stoddard, Dan Mason, Stuart Edson and Lew Stowell. Guests: Jon Jickling and Kate Forrer. No members of the public attended.
- 5:35 PM: Call to Order- No additions or deletions were made to the agenda.
- Review and approve the March 24, 2021 meeting minutes- Approved 5-0.
- Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) Planning- Kate Forrer and Jon Jickling. Approximately 16 traps will be installed town wide by Memorial Day and removed by Labor Day. Bait and traps to be provided to J. Jickling by early May. The Committee recommends to the Select Board that a new committee be formed for the sole purpose of responding to the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) Threat. Should be led by the Town Forester and have close coordination with the Conservation Commission and the Public Safety Advisory Committee, perhaps through representation on the new committee. The PSAC will still be interested in the effect of EAB on Ash trees in the town highway ROWs but leadership of the EAB project will be in the new committee.
- Review and Discussion of OCSD Activities including Patrol Hours, Reports and Bills- OCSD is down 2 full time deputies. Starting soon deputies will perform patrols 10 hours per week in Brookfield. West Street speeding to be addressed by more patrols. Pedestrians and bicyclists have a duty of care while traveling on public highways. Pedestrians only have the right of way in marked and signed crosswalks. Radar deployment will have an increased use of short duration stationary radar at likely speeding locations.
- 2021 Speed Cart Plan- Will start in late April and follow Speed Cart Plan until snow flies.
- Traffic Sign and Weight Limit Status- Sign vandalism on Northfield Rd investigated. No arrests yet.
- Traffic Ordinance Status- Committee agreed with S. Clouatre that Waiver Penalty Schedule should either be referenced in the ordinance or a short list of penalties applicable to the ordinance be attached.
- Parking in Pond Village- OCSD has been busy educating and correcting the parking issues at the Floating Bridge recently. “Education” will be followed by citations to repeat offenders. Overflow parking areas are not designated. It would be useful for signs pointing to overflow parking areas such as the Town Office. The Floating Bridge has become even more popular with Covid 19 and may not decrease in popularity soon. It was noted that the expansion of the parking lot at the Town Office has been staked out. More research on parking options to be done by the Committee.
- 2141 Stone Road Parking Issues- The Committee requests a status update from the Select Board.
- Public Safety Advisory Committee Future Role and Responsibilities- It was agreed that periodic review and discussion of the committee’s roles and responsibilities are useful.
- May Public Safety Message- L. Stowell to write based on S. Clouatre’s suggestions.
- Setting the Next Meeting- May 19, 2021 at 5:35 PM. Manner may be remote or in person.
- Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting- None.
- 6:50: PM- Entertained a motion to adjourn the meeting- Approved 5-0