The Town of Brookfield
09 January 2017 at 6:30 PM
Town Clerk’s Office
Draft Meeting Minutes
Present: John Benson (Chair), Cory Haggett, Jeff Kimmel, Tom Anderson, Dennis LaRocque, Walter Gardner, Karen Schabot, Kasey Peterson (Admin. Assistant)
- Call to Order: 6:32
- Adjustments to Agenda: added personnel issue for coverage under the Highway report.
- Public Presentation or Comment –
- Tom Anderson began by thanking the Road Crew for the excellent job they are doing on the road maintenance. Mr. Anderson was present to discuss an ongoing issue with dogs on Cemetery Street. The dogs in question charge into the road when cars are going by and actually make contact with vehicles. Residents on Cemetery Street are aware of the problem and are prepared for it. However, Mr. Anderson witnessed an individual nearly run off the road when she swerved to avoid the dogs. Town Clerk Teresa Godfrey has talked to the property owner, but the issue is not resolved. Mr. Anderson has also contacted Town Constable Kevin Joyal. Mr. Anderson will e-mail pictures of the dogs charging his truck to Mrs. Peterson.
- Gardner and Ms. Schabot were present to discuss Witts Bridge Road. The ruts on that road are very bad up to the barn where it is a Class 3 road. The road becomes Class 4 beyond the barn. This road needs general repair as logging trucks and heavy farm equipment have rutted the road. However, during recent winter maintenance a layer of sand was spread over the top of the existing slush instead of plowing the slush away. Ms. Schabot was stuck on that road even though she was driving a 4-wheel drive vehicle. The Selectboard assured Mr. Gardner and Ms. Schabot that they would address the concern later in the meeting during discussion of general winter road maintenance.
- LaRocque was present to discuss a parking issue on Stone Road. He observed that vehicles in the Town right-of-way had in fact been moved.
- Old Business
- Haggett made a motion to approve the minutes of the 29 December Meeting, Mr. Benson seconded. 3-0-0
- New Business
- Highway Report
- Changes to the annual Certificate of Highway Mileage were discussed. Research will be done to assure Brookfield’s numbers are correct.
- Haggett moved for an executive session to discuss personnel matters regarding winter maintenance.
- Executive session began at 6:57.
- Executive session ended at 7:16.
- Budget items – Mr. Benson and Mr. Peck went through the Highway budget to assure they were in agreement on budget items including sand, gravel, road signs, and bridges.
- There will be a site visit at 7:30 a.m. at Larry Brassard’s property on Bear Hill Road on 23 January.
- The Nortrax quote for the new grader is $285,560 which includes credit for the trade-in. Yearly payments would be $61,000 for 5 years
- Peterson informed the Selectboard that the NEMRC financial software is now available as an online-only option. The Selectboard was uncomfortable with financial and confidential information being held in the cloud. No action taken.
- There was further budget discussion involving cemetery maintenance. Mr. Herring is contracted through October 2017, but potential changes to the Cemetery Commission may require changes to the contract.
- Payroll/AP Warrant
- Kimmel made a motion to accept the AP warrants in the amount of $9,141.96. The largest of these invoices were from Cargill for $2,514.85 and $1,742.02 and James Godfrey for $1,360.00. Mr. Haggett seconded. 3-0-0
- Other Proper Business –
- Benson reported that Barre Town is still interested in EMS services to Brookfield in the interest of improving service and response time. Barre Town will sit down with WRVA and work out some details before presenting a proposal.
- Kimmel reported on Town Report preparations.
- Kimmel moved to adjourn at 8:26 Mr. Haggett seconded. 3-0-0
Respectfully Submitted: Kasey Peterson