Town of Brookfield
December 10, 2018 at 6:30 P.M.
Town Clerk’s Office
Present: John Benson (Chair), Cory Haggett, Dawn Conant, Ray Peck (Road Crew Foreman)
- Call to Order – 6:33 p.m.
- Adjustments to Agenda – None
- Public Comment – None
- New Business:
- Depositing Snow on Public Roads – Letters/Notices
- Peck asked if the Road Crew could have letters in the trucks so they could hand them to people putting snow in the roads. Mr. Benson suggested that the crew write down the information (date/time, address), take a photo if possible, and give information to Administrative Assistant Kasey Peterson so she could send a letter to individuals.
- Benson to have Ms. Peterson draft a letter for the Board to approve.
- Brassard Property
- Larry Brassard reported he thought things had been resolved last year. He just wants the plow/Town Crew to follow the road, as they do up the road and in other places. Mr. Brassard showed Mr. Benson the map and where the 1 foot lawn markers are. Just wants the plow to follow the road and avoid the mailbox.
- Peck had photos he took the other day, which he showed to the Board members.
- The Town will go out in the spring and take a look and fix any damage that needs to be addressed.
- Peck will ask the Crew to review their plowing practices and focus on efficient approaches to removing snow from the road.
- Haggett inquired about how the Crew determines where the road border ends.
- The Board will anticipate further reports on the issue and resolution.
- Haggett asked Mr. Brassard if there was still a waterline issue: he said he checked the measurements and everything should be fine.
- New Time Sheets: Mr. Peck commented that it was the first he had heard anything about a new time sheet; he will coordinate with Ms. Peterson to present the new version to the staff for use.
- Other Highway Business
- Benson made a motion to go into Executive Session at 6:49 p.m., Mr. Haggett second: 2-0-0. The Board came out of session at 6:56 p.m.
- Gillespie Fuels to supply fuel if the price is right for the Town.
- Benson mentioned to Mr. Peck that the Board is looking for budget information in preparation for Town Report and FY 2019/2020. This will include reviewing the prior year information and determining if there are additional items to consider.
- The Board also wants Mr. Peck’s thoughts on salary vs. hourly payment as it relates to the Foreman position.
- The Capital Plan will also need to be reviewed and adjusted to include any items for the next fiscal year.
- Move the Meeting from Christmas Eve: Mr. Benson and Mr. Haggett agreed to move the next Selectboard Meeting from December 24, 2018 to Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
- Ridge Road Letter
- The Town received the bill from the Orange County Sheriff’s Department for the service/delivery of a letter to a Ridge Road property’s owners. Benson is not sure if the paperwork has been served to both the South Carolina and Ridge Road addresses. Mr. Benson will inquire with Town Clerk Teresa Godfrey. The letter sets a December 15 deadline for trash removal activity; if the letter has not yet been served, the deadline date will be moved to December 22.
- Haggett made a motion that if the papers have not been served to have the time line date of December 15th changed to December 22nd and if they have been sent to either address, keep the date December 15th, Mr. Benson second: 2-0-0.
- Ambulance Budget: Mr. Benson to talk with Ms. Godfrey about having the ambulance budget sent and make sure it indicates any corrections.
- Valley View Drive: letter to Zoning Administrator Stuart Edson: the Board of Adjustment will be reviewing the correspondence as part of the appeal hearing regarding the subject property.
- Old Business: Approve Minutes of November 26, 2018 meeting: moved to next meeting when Mr. Kimmel is present.
- Payroll/AP Warrants: Mr. Haggett made a motion to pay the warrants totaling $56,340.46 with large bills that include: Evans Group (diesel fuel): $15,252.97; White River Valley Ambulance (ambulance services): $7,535.00; Lowell McLeods, Inc. (truck chains): $5,650.00; R. E. Tucker (road reconstruction): $4,341.00. Mr. Benson second: 2-0-0.
- Other Proper Business:
- Haggett mentioned that a Mountain Alliance Solid Waste meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, December 12, which will include setting the budget and producing information that will go into the Town Report. One other item for consideration is the status of incorporating into the Mountain Solid Waste District.
- Benson to update/replace the numbers. Budget is $1,000, but will probably go up to $2,000 to $2,500 (estimate).
- Mr. Haggett made a motion to adjourn at 7:36 p.m., Mr. Benson second: 2-0-0.