MINUTES of the Brookfield Selectboard Meeting
January 24, 2022
Held at the Town Clerk’s Office
Those Present: John Benson, Chair; Jeff Kimmel, Dennis LaRocque, Betty Lord, Members; Vicki Blanchard, Administrative Assistant; Kate Threlkeld attended by zoom. Mike Palmer and Dan Mason were there for a short time.
A. CALL. TO ORDER – Mr. Benson called the Selectboard meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
B. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA – None
C. PUBLIC COMMENTS –
1. Farnsworth Lane discussion – Lafayette and Palmer. Mr. Lafayette did not attend as he reported that he had just been tested for COVID. Mr. Palmer attended and stated he wants to resolve any property use issues peacefully. The Selectboard advised him to consult a lawyer because The Board does not have any authority in this kind of a case.
D. HIGHWAY REPORT
1. Normal plowing, sanding and icing were completed and work on the Grader was completed.
Mr. Benson made a motion to go into Executive Session at 7:00 p.m. regarding personnel issues. Mr. Kimmel seconded the motion which was unanimously passed. 5-0-0 After the discussion, Mr. Benson made a motion to come out of Executive Session at 7:20p.m., Mr. Kimmel seconded the motion which was unanimously approved. 5-0-0
E. NEW BUSINESS
1. Town Report – Mr. Benson had asked Ms. Lord to be the lead person regarding the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) – Coronavirus State and Local Recovery Funds report. The Selectboard had several suggestions on how to use the money, such as contributions to the Foodbank, help to businesses in Town, the purchase of a new backhoe, or installation of two wells which are needed.
2. FEMA Grant Application – The application has been submitted for the Halfway Brook Project.
3. Expenditures – Mr. Benson reported that the Cemetery budget is already over. The highway budget needs to be watched so it does not go over budget also.
4. Regional Emergency Management Committee (REMC) Appointments due January 31st. – Mr. Kimmel will reach out to Rich Doolan for more information as the Selectboard thought this had been done already.
5. ARPA Fund Discussion – See Town Report discussion above.
F. OLD BUSINESS
1. Brookfield Cemeteries – Sexton Duties – Mr. Benson will send Mr. Kimmel a description of what the Sexton’s Duties should be and Mr. Kimmel will review and then at the next Selectboard meeting they will discuss and vote on whether to approve the revisions to the Brookfield Cemetery Rules
2. Preliminary Budget Discussions – Reviewed the preliminary budget.
3. Town Meeting 2022 date and location discussion – Mr. Kimmel made a motion that The Selectboard reaffirm the moving The Town Meeting to May 21, 2022, Ms. Lord seconded the motion which was unanimously approved. 5-0-0
G. MEETING MINUTES
1. 10 January 2022 – Ms. Lord made a motion to accept the 10 January 2022 Selectboard meeting minutes, Mr. Benson seconded and the motion was carried unanimously. 5-0-0.
H. PAYROLL and AP WARRANTS – Ms.Lord made a motion to approve the AP warrants as presented with a total of $37,370.48 with the highest payment being made to Evans Group for payment of diesel fuel in the amount of $17,521.40. Mr. LaRocque seconded the motion which carried unanimously. 5-0-0.
J. OTHER PROPER BUSINESS –
1. Windshield broken on Kevin Dunwoody’s vehicle. – Ms. Blanchard will file paperwork with VLCT.
1. Mr. Benson made a motion to adjourn at 8:47 p.m. Ms. Lord seconded the motion and there being no further business to come before the Board, the meeting was unanimously adjourned.