Town of Brookfield
March 25, 2019 at 6:30 P.M.
Town Clerk’s Office
Present: Cory Haggett, Jeff Kimmel, Dawn Conant, Ray Peck (Road Crew Foreman), Jon Binhammer. Mr. Benson was not available for the meeting.
- Call to Order – 6:30 p.m.
- Adjustments to Agenda – None
- Public Comment –
- Binhammer of the Brookfield Conservation Commission submitted a proposed list of recommended Commission appointees for the Selectboard’s approval.
- Binhammer asked about the difference between Commission and Committee. Mr. Kimmel stated that a Committee would work as an advisory body to the Selectboard, while the Commission would be a formal independent body.
- Binhammer says they plan to have a meeting to establish the Commision’s by-laws, Officers, etc. soon.
- Kimmel recommended that the Selectboard table any decisions on the recommendations until the next meeting (April 8th), when all the Board will be there; Administrative Assistant Kasey Peterson will also be able to warn it on the agenda so that the public attend the meeting and/or comment.
- New Business:
- Certificate of Highway Mileage
- The Board will need to put a notice in the Randolph Herald and post notices about a public hearing on the final determination of distances at the intersection of Montgomery Road and VT Route 14. The Selectboard will also notify adjoining landowners.
- Work done on the intersection several years ago did not go through the final approval process at that time. The hearing will be planned for the regular Selectboard meeting on Monday, April 22, 2019. Once that happens the determination can be submitted to the state Agency of Transportation.
- Other Highway Business
- Peck spoke with Chris Bump (of AoT) and was told that if we are satisfied with the work on Witts Bridge then go ahead and pay Parent Construction. Mr. Haggett asked if the State had done their walk-through yet. Mr. Peck reported no, but as long as the Town is satisfied, all should be good.
- Haggett is not in favor of paying until everything is all cleaned up and completed. Mr. Peck said he does not believe there is anything else left to do.
- Ray stated that the chloride trailer needs some work and he would like to get a new tank for it at around $1,200 to $2,000.
- Peck also spoke with Mr. Bump about state grant availability for the upcoming season, and we are #5 on the list for about $175,000 +/- of potential paving funds. Ridge Road is a likely candidate, and Mr. Haggett suggested that Mr. Peck look into where the worst portion is, how much the Town has to do, what is the likely cost for the repairs. The Board also inquired about whether the Town will reclaim material, and would the paving contractor jump around or want to do a large section at a time.
- Peck noted that it is mud season, so the Road Crew is responding to those issues while continuing with normal work for this time of year. He also mentioned that they are running low on various materials.
- Peck asked about the 1-ton pickup and the potential for replacement either this or next fiscal year. Mr. Haggett and Mr. Kimmel suggested that he do research regarding the purchase of a 1-ton and come to the next Board meeting to discuss his findings.
- Budget Questions: Mr. Haggett made a motion that the Board wait to discuss this item until the next meeting (when Mr. Benson returns). Mr. Kimmel second: 2-0-0.
- Quote from Vermont Computing: Mr. Haggett made a motion that the Board defer this item until the next meeting. Mr. Kimmel second: 2-0-0. Mr. Kimmel will ask Ms. Peterson to contact the firm regarding the estimate of time for this item.
- Public Assemblage Permit – Randolph Area Food Shelf: Mr. Kimmel and Mr. Haggett reviewed the application. Mr. Haggett made a motion to approve the Assemblage Permit once the applicant provides additional information as to the routes being used. Mr. Kimmel second: 2-0-0.
- Local Emergency Management Plan: Mr. Kimmel commented that both he and Mr. Benson have looked at and made markups to the document. Mr. Kimmel will talk with Ms. Peterson to complete edits and get the document in “final” form.
- Old Business:
- Approve Minutes of February 25, 2019 meeting: Mr. Haggett made a motion to approve the meeting minutes for the February 25, 2019 meeting; Mr. Kimmel second: no discussion: 2-0-0.
- Approve Minutes of the March 11, 2019 meeting: Mr. Haggett made a motion to approve the meeting minutes for the March 11, 2019 meeting; Mr. Kimmel second: no discussion: 2-0-0.
- Payroll/AP Warrants: Mr. Kimmel made a motion to pay the warrants totaling $57,145.64 with large bills that include: Parent Construction (Witts Bridge): $34,680.00; Evans Group (Diesel): $16,497.80.25; BCBSVT (Health Insurance): $3,934.30. Mr. Haggett second: 2-0-0.
- Other Proper Business: None
- Mr. Haggett made a motion to adjourn at 7:32 p.m., Mr. Kimmel second: 2-0-0.