Jan 142020
 

Town of Brookfield
Selectboard Meeting
December 9, 2019 at 6:30 P.M.
Town Clerk’s Office
Minutes
Present: John Benson (Chair), Cory Haggett, Jeff Kimmel, Ray Peck (Highway Dept.), Dawn Conant, Jon Binhammer, Curtis Koren
1. Call to Order – 6:30 p.m.
2. Adjustments to Agenda – None
3. Public Comment
 Mr. Binhammer spoke, representing the Town’s Conservation Commission. The Commission is discussing and finalizing their Bylaws at their next meeting and plan to approve them. The Commission would like the Selectboard to take a look at the proposal and let the Commission know of any edits.
 They have included statutory requirements for public meetings and what the Commission would be doing; these items incorporated approaches by other Commissions in Vermont.
 Mr. Binhammer inquired whether the Commission needed the Selectboard to sign off, as they are an advisory board to the Selectboard and would need Board approval to carry out plans.
 Mr. Benson mentioned that any funds raised/donations established by the Town, should be maintained in the Town bookkeeping system. The Board will continue the discussion with the Commission at the next meeting.
4. New Business:
A. Public Assemblage Permit – Ice Harvest
 Same preparation and activities as in past years.
 Bathroom at the Town Offices for use, while the library is open, then the Town Hall after that.
 Need to make sure there is help for parking/police to keep traffic moving and avoid parking on both sides of the road in Pond Village.
 Mr. Benson asked Mr. Binhammer to include in advertising for the event that there will be help with parking and it will be restricted to one side.
 Mr. Binhammer is hoping to have broomball at the event and asked if the Board (Town) could donate $200 for equipment. Mr. Benson needs to call VLCT to see if there is a liability risk for the Town if we buy/donate (provide funding) money for the equipment. Would there also need to be a certificate of insurance for the event? Mr. Kimmel will contact the Town’s attorney to check as well.
 Mr. Haggett made a motion to grant the Ice Harvest assemblage permit, Mr. Kimmel second. Mr. Benson asked if there was any discussion (none). 3-0-0.
B. Curtis Koren – Grant for Economic Development
 The Working Communities Challenge grant would qualify the Town to participate in the program and potentially qualify for funding. The White River Consortium of towns would like to apply for it and see where it goes. The Consortium is looking for representatives from all towns: at this point they are asking Brookfield’s Board to approve a resolution from the Town to pursue the process.
 Mr. Haggett made a motion to sign up for the preliminary step, Mr. Kimmel second. Mr. Benson asked if there was any discussion (none). 3-0-0.
C. Highway
1. Highway Credit Card Limit: after discussion, Mr. Benson made a motion that the Board approve a $3,000 limit on the Highway Credit Card, Mr. Kimmel second. Mr. Benson asked there was any discussion (none). 3-0-0.
2. Road Erosion and Highway Grant: Mr. Benson made a motion that the Town apply for the culvert inventory and road erosion inventory grant through Two Rivers Ottauquechee Regional Commission, Mr. Kimmel second. Mr. Benson asked if there was any discussion (none). 3-0-0.
3. Other Highway
 Mr. Benson stated that the latest garage proposal can fit up to 3 pieces of
large equipment without changing the physical layout. He will contact the
designer and get the changes/differences to them and get pricing numbers to the Selectboard.
 Tomorrow morning a Pike paving person will review the Ridge Road
conditions. The Board concurs with Mr. Peck that we need to have some
guidance from the paving person, Vtrans, etc. to figure out how to proceed
with fixing it and costs. Mr. Peck will ask questions and take notes; the Town will follow up with a letter to Pike regarding this matter. The Board and Mr. Peck will also look into reimbursement from the State for the continued repair.
 Mr. Benson made a motion to execute a grant request for culvert
repair/replacement on Bear Hill and Taylor Hill, Mr. Kimmel second. Mr.
Benson asked if there was any discussion (none). 3-0-0.
 Issues have arisen with a Bear Hill landowner and stakes (metal) in the Town right-of-way that could be an impediment and safety problem for plowing or travel. The Board agreed to send the landowner a letter and will copy the Town’s Attorney for review. The Town proposes allowing the landowner 2 weeks to repair the problem; if it is still not remedied, the Board will ask the Town Attorney to commence formal proceedings.
D. Barre Town Ambulance Contract: the Contract is up this year from last year to $29,474.64. Mr. Benson made a motion that the Board approve/execute the Emergency Medical Services Contract with Barre Town Ambulance, Mr. Kimmel second. Mr. Benson asked if there was any discussion (none). 3-0-0.
5. Old Business:
A. Personnel Policy Changes – Holiday Overtime/Summer Hours: the Board had noted that Summer Hours for the Road Crew are over now. The Board needs to establish a set period for when the hours shift from 5-day work weeks to 4-day weeks. Mr. Kimmel will incorporate this into the revised Policy as appropriate.
B. Approve Amended Meeting Minutes of October 28, 2019 Board meeting: Mr. Haggett made a motion to approve the October 28, 2019 meeting minutes, Mr. Benson second. Mr. Benson asked if there was any discussion (none). 2-0-0.
C. Approve Meeting Minutes of November 25, 2019 Board meeting: Mr. Haggett made a motion to approve the November 25, 2019 meeting minutes, Mr. Kimmel second. Mr. Benson asked if there was any discussion (none). 3-0-0.
6. Payroll/AP Warrants: Mr. Haggett made a motion to pay the warrants totaling $41,668.97 with large bills that include VLCT PACIF (insurance): $26,501.00; Brookfield Public Library (library budget): $4,795.71; Town of Randolph (radio rental): $700.00. Mr. Kimmel second. Mr. Benson asked if there was any discussion (none). 3-0-0.
7. Other Proper Business:
Kevin Wheatley, Brookfield Fire Chief, came and dropped off the Fire Department numbers for the budget. They need to replace the roof at the Fire Department building as the roof is leaking and screws are coming out; a standing seam roof would be preferred. The Department has some new recruits, so up to 15/16 members. Mr. Benson reminded him that the Board needs the Department’s report for the upcoming Town Report.
8. Mr. Benson made a motion to adjourn at 7:51 p.m., Mr. Kimmel second. 3-0-0.