Minutes of the
TOWN OF BROOKFIELD
Town Clerk’s Office
July 12, 2021
THOSE PRESENT: John Benson, Chair; Jeff Kimmel and Dennis LaRocque, Board members; Tim Higgins, Road Crew Foreman; Kasey Peterson, Administrative Asst. (by teleconferencing); Kate Bancroft, and Betty Lord, Secretary.
A. CALL TO ORDER – Mr. Benson called the meeting to order at 6:33 p.m.
B. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA – None
C. PUBLIC COMMENTS – None
D. HIGHWAY REPORT – Mr. Higgins reported the Road Crew has been busy grading and ditching. To-date approximately 1,000 yards of sand has been moved and stockpiled. Culverts have been ordered but have not been received. Markers are now in place indicating utility wiring that is placed under West Street at the Taplin property. Mr. Higgins stated that he had contacted NI-COM regarding a price for paving the cracks on the Ridge Road and is waiting for an answer. Mr. Higgins was asked to look into having someone inspect the five bridges in Town with an average span of 16 ft. There may be American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) federal funding for work done on the bridges.
Mr. Higgins will contact VTrans to get a date on when they will come to discuss the work to be done on Bear Hill Road. It was noted that the grant for the work to be done expires on December 31, 2021. Mr. Higgins was also asked to update the list of the Town’s vehicles and equipment.
E. NEW BUSINESS –
1. Justin Poulin – Driveway Culvert – Mr. Higgins reported that the culvert issue with Mr. Poulin had been resolved.
2. Zoning Board of Adjustment – Mr. Benson made a motion to appoint Mr. Dennis LaRocque and Ms. Kate Bancroft as members of the Board of Adjustment. Mr. Kimmel seconded the motion which was unanimously approved. 3-0-0.
3. Auditor Appointment – Mr. Kimmel made a motion to approve the appointment of Rachel Rose to the open position for Town Auditor. Mr. Benson seconded the motion which was approved unanimously. 3-0-0.
4. CAI Technologies Contract – Mr. Benson made a motion to accept the contract presented to the Board by CAI Technologies. Mr. LaRocque seconded the motion which was unanimously approved. 3-0-0.
5. Personnel Policy Re: Juneteenth – The Board will defer making a decision on the issue of making Juneteenth a Town paid holiday until further direction is provided on the State level.
6. Sanel Application – NAPA – Action on the application from Sanel was tabled. Mr. LaRocque will ask Mr. Higgins to contact the NAPA stores in Northfield and Barre to inquire about their application process.
7. Gillespie Fuel Contracts (4) – The contracts include two for the Town fire station, one for the Town garage, and one for the Town Clerk’s office. The prices offered are $2.52 a gallon for pre-buy and $2.56 to purchase monthly for eleven months. Mr. LaRocque made a motion to pre-buy the fuel needed for the above named contracts. Mr. Benson seconded and the motion was unanimously approved. 3-0-0. Mr. Benson will sign the contracts on behalf of the Town.
8. Old Town Hall Public Assemblage Permits. – It was noted that events in Pond Village for fewer than fifty people do not require a permit. Mr. Kimmel made a motion to approve the pro-posed permit for the Community Pot Luck event to be held at the Old Town Hall on July 13. Mr. LaRocque seconded and the motion carried unanimously. 3-0-0. Mr. Benson made a motion to approve the assemblage permit for the Sprague Farm Day to be held on July 17, 2021. Mr. Kimmel seconded and the motion was unanimously approved. 3-0-0.
9. Village Dog Complaint – Mr. Kimmel will contact Mr. Dan Mason (Town Constable) to discuss the complaint in Pond Village. It was also suggested that if neighbors would keep a log of what they witness, it would be easier for the Board to act on such complaints.
F. OLD BUSINESS
l. Stone Road Parking – Mr. Kimmel will contact Mr. Mason to set a time to visit a site on Stone Road to determine whether or not a vehicle is parked in the right-of-way. Mr. Kimmel will also notify the resident that a visit will be forthcoming.
2, Sprague Farm Day – See above under assemblage permits.
G. MINUTES OF JUNE 28, 2021 Selectboard meeting – Mr. Kimmel made a motion that the Board approve the minutes of the meeting of June 28, 2021 as presented. Mr. LaRocque seconded and the minutes were approved unanimously. 3-0-0.
H. PAYROLL AND AP WARRANTS – Mr. LaRocque made a motion to accept the accounts pay-able report in the total amount of $22,197.02 (closing out FY 2020/2021) with the largest payment being made to R. E. Tucker in the amount of $19,845.00. Mr. Kimmel seconded and the report was approved unanimously. 3-0-0. Mr. LaRocque also made a motion to accept the accounts payable report in the total amount of $19,755.58 (FY 2021/2022) with the highest payment being made to Gorman Group, LLC in the amount of $8,022.46. Mr. Kimmel seconded and the report was unanimously approved. 3-0-0.
I. OTHER PROPER BUSINESS – Mr. Benson reported to the Board that he would be meeting with a representative from the office of VT Senator Sanders on July 28th to discuss the possibility of funding for a new fire house.
J. ADJOURNMENT – There being no further business to come before the Board, Mr. LaRocque made a motion to adjourn at 7:35 p.m. Mr. Kimmel seconded the motion and the meeting was unanimously adjourned. 3-0-0.
Betty Lord, Secretary