Oct 182018
 

Town of Brookfield

Selectboard Meeting

September 10, 2018 at 6:30 P.M.

Town Clerk’s Office

Draft Minutes

 

Present: John Benson (Chair), Cory Haggett, Jeff Kimmel, Dawn Conant, Ray Peck (Road Crew Foreman)

 

  1. Call to Order – 6:30 p.m.

 

  1. Adjustments to Agenda – None

 

  1. Public Comment – None

 

  1. New Business:

 

  1. Highway

 

  1. Cameron Access Permit: Mr. Peck met with the property owner, discussing potential removal of trees and providing year-around access to the property. Mr. Haggett made a motion to approve the Cameron Access Permit; Mr. Kimmel second: 3-0-0.

 

  1. 2019 Transportation Alternatives Program – Grants Availability: Mr. Peck will check whether the Town might qualify for the state program; he thinks it is for larger towns with a cap of $300,000. Mr. Benson suggested talking with Rita Zeto (TRORC) and see how it coordinates with stormwater regulations.

 

  1. Other Highway Business:

 

  • Road Surface Assessment: Mr. Peck and Ms. Zeto completed the review. The next step is to do a drainage assessment of Town roads and develop a map of problem areas (hydrology map) Town-wide. The goal is to reduce/eliminate discharges or erosion occurring into waters of the State.
  • Peck reported that the new truck was taken to Westminster for warranty work, but he was not satisfied with the repairs. Administrative Assistant Kasey Peterson took photos and wrote a letter to Western Star, to help document the issue. The company indicated it would send a representative to review the issue with Mr. Peck.
  • Vehicles will need new/additional tires and chains in preparation for Winter road maintenance.
  • In addition, Mr. Peck is planning to get mud season material stockpiled and will work on ditching once the current rain conditions end.
  • Peck is reviewing the number of hours we can use part-time help based on budgeted amounts and hours. He will verify numbers with Ms. Peterson.
  • The Board also discussed the need to create another line item in the budget to accurately reflect expenditures and reimbursements derived from grant-related projects. The Board will inquire with Ms. Peterson about creating a spreadsheet to depict these transactions, and how to incorporate the information in the budget.
  • Benson asked Mr. Peck to review the existing Road Crew Foreman Job Description and provide comments and suggested changes to the Board.
  • The Board would also like to discuss with Mr. Peck the possible advantages/disadvantages of shifting compensation from an hourly rate to a salary for the Foreman position and maybe the employees. This is a potential item for a future Board meeting, and would be part of the planning for the upcoming FY 2019/2020 budget.
  • McKeage Road: the asphalt apron at the intersection with VT Route 14 needs to be repaired, which will require state involvement. Mr. Peck will follow up.

 

  1. Old Business – Approve Minutes of August 27, 2018 Selectboard meeting: Mr. Haggett made a motion to approve the August 27 meeting minutes, Mr. Kimmel second: 3-0-0.

 

  1. Payroll/AP Warrants: Haggett made a motion to pay the warrants totaling $16,420.78 with large bills that include: R.E. Tucker (gravel): $7,754.10; McCullough Crushing (gravel): $2,100.00; VLCT PACIF (insurance deductible): $1,000.00. Mr. Kimmel second: 3-0-0.

 

  1. Other Proper Business:

 

  • Town Purchasing Policy: Mr. Kimmel and Ms. Peterson incorporated the previously approved dollar values in the policy.
  • Haggett to call the Solid Waste Division to see what can be done regarding the trash issue at a Ridge Road property.
  • Benson is planning to attend a meeting regarding a potential joint Randolph/Braintree/Brookfield Recreational committee on Sept. 20th at 5 pm. If Mr. Benson cannot go, Mr. Kimmel will attend.
  • Regarding restricting smoking at Hippo Park by the Floating Bridge: there is nothing in the property deed addressing it. The Town could have an ordinance that would apply to the park, but not the bridge or VT Route 65. The board would need to draft an ordinance, warn it, and then hold a public meeting. The Board will ask Ms. Peterson to contact VLCT regarding regulations for such activities. It would likely require signs at each of the entrances to the park.

 

  1.   Mr. Kimmel made a motion to adjourn at 7:16 p.m., Mr. Haggett second: 3-0-0.