Town of Brookfield
Selectboard Meeting Minutes – Draft
January 22, 2018
Town Clerk’s Office, Brookfield, VT
Present: John Benson (Chair), Cory Haggett, Ray Peck (Highway Foreman), and Eric Ward
- Call to Order – 6:30 p.m.
- Adjustments to Agenda – None
- Public Comment – None
- New Business:
Eric Ward: Mr. Ward presented the Board with a survey map of his property adjacent to West Brookfield Road and extending to Blanchard Road. The Board reminded Mr. Ward that the Town has a right of way through his property and asked him to make sure that it was properly noted in the final survey map presented to the Town.
- Benson noted that the Highway Department had $6,143 left in the maintenance and repair budget for the period between February 1st and June 30th.
- Benson reported that the reimbursement from FEMA for the July 2017 storm had hit a snag due to a perceived lack of detail in the Town’s recording of hours spent repairing each specific problem area.
- Peck reported the grader is fixed and no longer leaking antifreeze. The leak was apparently caused, according to Milton CAT, by a shrinking of one or more rubber coolant hoses during the recent cold weather.
- Peck reported to that the green International truck had to be towed to S.D Reed to have some motor work performed. There were several bad injectors and the turbo was stuck. The total repair bill is expected to be between $3,800 and $5,500 including the tow.
- Peck reported that he was able to purchase sand from Larry Pickett for the sander in the F-350 and it works fine. Mr. Pickett is going to calculate a price for the sand and set a flat rate per yard or load moving forward.
Assemblage Permit: Jon Binhammer applied for a public assemblage permit for the annual Brookfield Ice Harvest. A motion to accept the permit as submitted was made by Mr. Haggett and seconded by Mr. Benson. The motion carried 2-0.
WRVA Invoice: The Board reviewed the January 2018 invoice for EMS service from WRVA. It was determined that the invoice was correct as submitted in the amount of $3,425. The invoice reflects the post-spilt price per month given WRVA now serves 53% of the Town’s population.
Cemetery Bids: It was decided that bids would be need to be received no later than March 3, 2018 for cemetery care for the summer. Bids would be reviewed and a vender would be chosen at the March 12, 2018 Board meeting.
Barre Town EMS: The Board tabled finalizing the details of the new EMS service contact with Barre Town EMS until the February 12, 2018. Tabling this issue would allow input from the full Board.
- Warrants: A motion to pay the warrants in the amount of $28,532.66 was made by Mr. Benson and seconded by Mr. Haggett. The motion carried 2-0. The three largest warrants included: Cargill, Inc. in the amount of $4,646.48 for road salt, Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Vermont in the amount of $3,759.60 for employee health insurance, and Fothergill, Segale and Valley in the amount of $3,700.00 for the Town’s 2016 – 2017 audit.
A motion was made to adjourn the meeting by Mr. Benson and seconded by Mr. Haggett. The motion carried 2-0.
Meeting adjourned at 7:31 p.m.