Town of Brookfield Selectboard Meeting
July 11, 2022
Betty and Gary Lord’s home on
419 West Street, Brookfield
Present: John Benson, Chair; Betty Lord, Stuart Edson, Dennis LaRocque; members, Curtis Koren was not present; Vicki Blanchard, Administrative Assistant; Amy Ingrassia, Assistant Treasurer; Donald and Tamara West, Keith Sprague.
A. Call To Order – Mr. Benson called the Selectboard meeting to order at 6:30 pm
B. Adjustments to Agenda – Mr. Benson suggested that New Business (F) be moved to come after Public Comments (C)
C. Public Comments
1. Donald West – regarding Old Stage Road (TH45) Mr. West attended the meeting to discuss the Old State Road (TH 45). Mr. Benson stated he had a letter from the town’s attorney recommending the section under discussion be settled by a Quick Claim Deed. The deed would be signed by the four property owners whose land abuts that section of Old Stage Road. Mr. Benson made a motion to get the Quick Claim Deed done and signed so when the next Town May comes out it can be corrected. Ms. Lord seconded the motion which was carried unanimously 4-0-0
F. New Business
1. Vacancy – Mr. LaRocque submitted his resignation to the Selectboard and Mr. Benson and the other members wished him well and expressed the hope that in the future he would consider running again. Mr. LaRocque recommended that Keith Sprague take his place. Mr. Benson made a motion to appoint Mr. Sprague to fill the position for Mr. LaRocque. Mr. Edson seconded the motion which carried unanimously 3-0-0. Mr. Sprague will serve the rest of Mr. LaRocque’s term which is until the next Town Meeting Day in 2023.
D. Payroll and AP Warrants –
1. Mr. Benson made a motion to sign a contract for fuel and propane for the next heating season with Gillespie’s. Ms. Lord seconded the motion which was carried unanimously 3-0-0.
2. Ms. Lord made a motion to approve the AP warrants as presented with a total of $56,957.95 and with the highest payment being made to The Town of Barre in the amount of $34,775.01 for EMS services. Mr. Edson Seconded the motion which carried unanimously 3-0-0.
E. Highway Report
1. Amendment #3 to Memorandum of Agreement – MU0227 – The Agreement was signed and will be sent back to the state.
2. The road crew has been ditching, hauling stone, tree work on various roads. Some brake work has been done on the large truck. Stone for next mud season was purchased from WB Rogers.
3. The Parker Road bridge will be worked on by Charlie Gilman. There is FEMA money available which the town will apply to this project.
4. Mr. Gilman gave a quote of $18,000 to do improvement work on the Town office parking lot and to make a rain garden from the water runoff in that area. Mr. Benson made a motion to authorize WB Rogers to move forward with the updates above. Mr. Edson seconded the motion which carried unanimously 3-0-0.
F. New Business – moved above.
G. Old Business – none
H. Meeting Minutes June 27, 2022 – Ms. Lord made a motion to accept the June 27, 2022 minutes as presented; Mr. Edson seconded the motion, which carried unanimously 3-0-0.
I Other Proper Business
1. Agreement EM0165 – Town of Brookfield/Town Highway Emergency Fund – Mr. Benson made a motion to execute the Town Highway Emergency Grant. This money will cover work on roads and ditches from the July 21, 2021 storm. Mr. Edson seconded the motion, which carried unanimously 3-0-0.
2. Personnel Policy – In the Personnel Policy the Town’s health care company needed to be changed to MVP and a couple of typo’s that needed to be corrected. The Policy is now current.
3. Over the weekend there was a gathering on Route 14 and Mike Ferillo was asked to see if there was anything in the Town Ordinance that was not being followed. It appeared that no laws were being broken and there was no issue that should come before the Selectboard.
4. It was noted that someone on East Hill is putting in a road as well as a site for a mobile home. As no request for permitting has been made in the Town Clerk’s Office, Mr. Ferillo will contact the owner and offer to help him with getting the necessary permits.
J. Adjournment – Ms. Lord made a motion to adjourn at 8:45 pm., Mr. Edson seconded the motion and there being no further business to come before the Board, the meeting was unanimously adjourned.