Minutes of the
TOWN OF BROOKFIELD
Town Clerk’s Office
June 28, 2021
THOSE PRESENT: John Benson, Chair; Jeff Kimmel, Dennis LaRocque (Board Members); Bet-ty Lord (Secretary); and Kasey Peterson (Administrative Assistant) by telephone.
A. CALL TO ORDER: The Chair, John Benson called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
B. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA: None
C: PUBLIC COMMENTS: None
D. Highways: Mr. Tim Higgins, Road Crew Foreman, is on vacation. Mr. LaRocque gave the highway report. He stated that the road crew continues to do grading, ditching, and replacement of culverts. He also reported that roadside mowing should be completed by the 4th of July.
1. Access Permit for James Infurna: Mr. Higgins had reported it appears that no culvert will be necessary and the property needs to be leveled up in order to allow access from School House Road. Mr. Benson made a motion to approve an access permit for Mr. Infurna with conditions as noted by the Road Foreman. Mr. Kimmel seconded and the motion carried unanimously. 3-0-0.
E. NEW BUSINESS:
1. Town Report Budget Item: The question was asked whether the $2,000 approved at the Town Meeting for contracting for the preparation for the Town Report should be listed under salaries or the Town Report budget item. It was agreed that the $2,000 should be listed as a sub-item under the Town Report and that if a salaried person was hired to prepare the Town Report, that person would be contracted to do so and the work on the report would be done separate and apart from any work required by a salaried position.
2. Stone Road Property: It was agreed that one or two members of the Board will join with the Sheriff and a deputy to meet with Mr. Cushing to discuss whether or not his truck is parked in the right-of-way or traveled way. A survey map will be used and a measurement will be taken to determine the answer to this question. If it is not parked in the RoW or traveled way, no action will be taken. If it is in the RoW or traveled way, Mr. Cushing will be notified (including the potential for fines) and then offered the opportunity to move the truck. If the truck is not moved, further action will be taken.
3. Personnel Policy Addendum for COVID-19 – Mr. Kimmel made a motion for the Selectboard to approve the addendum regarding COVID-19 and carried over as an addendum to the Personnel Policy, Mr. Benson seconded and the motion passed unanimously. 3-0-0.
4. Brandon Stephens Contract – Mr. Benson made a motion to execute the contract with Bran-don Stephens for roadside mowing. Mr. Kimmel seconded and the motion passed unanimously. 3-0-0.
5. Schedule Cemetery Special Meeting – A special meeting for the review of the cemetery policy has been set for Tuesday, July 13, 2021, at 6:00 p.m. Mrs. Peterson will contact Mr. Joe Mangan to ask if he is available to attend the meeting on that date.
F. Old Business – No action taken.
G. Minutes – Mr. Benson made a motion to accept the minutes of the Special Meeting of June 10, 2021 as presented. Mr. LaRocque seconded and the minutes were unanimously approved. 3-0-0.
Mr. Kimmel made a motion to approve the minutes of the Selectboard meeting of June 14 as pre-sented. Mr. LaRocque seconded and the minutes were unanimously approved. 3-0-0
Mr. LaRocque made a motion to accept the minutes of a Special Meeting of the Board on June 22, 2021. Mr. Kimmel seconded and the minutes were approved. Mr. Benson abstained as he did not attend the meeting. 2-1-0.
H. PAYROLL AND AP WARRANTS – Mr. LaRocque moved to accept the accounts payable report for a total of $11,034 payable to Kirkyard Services – Cement and Stone. Mr. Kimmel seconded the motion which was unanimously approved. 3-0-0.
Mr. LaRocque moved to accept the accounts payable report for a total of $20,309.99. with the largest expense being paid to R. E. Tucker for gravel in the amount of $6,993.00. Mr. Benson seconded and the motion was unanimously approved. 3-0-0.
I OTHER PROPER BUSINESS – Mr. LaRocque reported that the Board of Adjustment had met last week. Ms .Kym Anderson was sent a letter by the Chair, Mr. Tom Allen, asking her to commit to meetings or to resign. Ms. Anderson stated that she was sorry not to have been able to honor her commitment but that she needed to resign at this time. Mr. LaRocque will send her an email and ask for her resignation in writing.
Mr. LaRocque stated that he has been an interim member of the Board of Adjustment and re-quested that he now be made a permanent member of the Board. His name will be warned for the next meeting stating his interest in being appointed to a permanent position on the Board of Adjustment.
Mr. Benson made a motion to make an application to the American Rescue Plan Act in the amount of $70,000 with himself as the Authorized Representative and Mrs. Peterson as the Primary Contact; authorizing Mrs. Peterson to file the application on the part of the Town of Brookfield and indicating the Town’s interest in pursuing money from the fund. Mr. LaRocque seconded the motion which carried unanimously. 3-0-0.
There being no further business to come before the Board, Mr. Kimmel made a motion to adjourn at 7:40 p.m. Mr. LaRocque seconded the motion which was carried unanimously. 3-0-0.
Betty Lord, Secretary