Feb 052019
 

Town of Brookfield

Selectboard Meeting

January 14, 2019 at 6:30 P.M.

Town Clerk’s Office

Draft Minutes

 

Present: John Benson (Chair), Cory Haggett, Jeff Kimmel, Dawn Conant, Ray Peck (Road Crew Foreman), Jon Binhammer

 

1. Call to Order – 6:31 p.m.

 

2. Adjustments to Agenda – None.

 

3. Public Comment – None

 

4. New Business:

 

Highway: Certificate of Highway Mileage: Mr. Kimmel to look at the document to see where we are and if it is the same as last year.
Barre Town EMS Contract: Contract set to expire in June of 2019. The amount is going up; they are letting us know ahead of time. Still time to look at the contract and discuss.

Audit Report: The Town received a letter stating that they would be receiving a new version of the audit report. Mr. Benson signed the document concurring.
Assemblage Permit – Ice Harvest: Discussion with Mr. Binhamer regarding event, which will be held January 26. Mr. Peck offered Highway Department help with the event. It was brought up that the snow area needs to be wider and make sure that cars can still travel on the road. Mr. Benson made a motion to approve the Assemblage Permit for the Ice Harvest on January 26, 2019, Mr. Kimmel second: 3-0-0.
Amendment to the Personnel Policy: Mr. Kimmel reviewed it, and found one minor revision and then it should be fine to sign. The rest of the Board signed and Mr. Kimmel will sign once the edit is made.
Other Highway Business

Mr. Peck reported the Witt’s Bridge repair work is essentially done. One of the wing walls is failing and the contractor would like to do the work while there; cost is about $10,000. Need to know what funds or grant might be applied to work on this while the contractor (Parent Construction) is there. The Town can seek reimbursement of up to  to 90% and hold the other 10% until the project is signed off and done. The VT Agency of Natural Resources is satisfied, and the coffer dam is out.
Ray inquired about the Highway Department obtaining a gas card for the 1-ton truck to use as needed for fill-ups.
Old Business:

Approve Minutes of January 2, 2019 meeting.: Mr. Kimmel made a motion to approve the January 2, 2019 Selectboard meeting minutes, Mr. Haggett second: 3-0-0.
Cyber-Security
The Board needs to ensure that adequate funds are budgeted for the issue in the upcoming FY 2019/2020. Costs will depend on equipment, IT services required, and additional fees (such as “cloud” enrollment). Administrative Assistant Kasey Peterson has spent considerable time researching the issue, and is contacting IT providers/consultants for recommendations. Ms. Peterson might also contact other towns t see what approaches they are taking.

 

Drug and Alcohol Policy: Still working on this and the Board needs to discuss more. Mr. Kimmel will distribute the latest version, and the Board will need to review remaining questions (and suggestions from VLCT) with Ms. Peterson while working towards a final draft.
Payroll/AP Warrants: Mr. Haggett made a motion to pay the warrants totaling $17,836.78, with large bills that include BCBSVT (Insurance): $3,934.30.00; White River Valley Ambulance (Ambulance): $3,596.25; Cargill, Inc. (salt): $2,718.58; Mr. Kimmel second: 3-0-0.
Other Proper Business:

Mr. Kimmel has spoken with a possible candidate for Town Attorney from Barre and is meeting with him next Wednesday.
Mr. Benson mentioned that the Town needs to identify a site that can be used and staffed in case of a general emergency situation. The new fire station in Randolph is an Emergency Center, but each community should designate a place as well. This issue should also be raised at Town Meeting.
Mr. Benson sent out a draft budget to all Board members and asked them to review and comment. The loader is the next piece of major equipment to be replaced in a couple of years and the last payment will be November 18th.
Mr. Benson inquired with Mr. Binhammer (Town Forester) about the impending Emerald Ash Borer invasion, and asked for his thoughts and input regarding it.
Mr. Binhammer needs to submit his Town Forester report for inclusion in the upcoming Town Report.
8.  Mr. Kimmel made a motion to adjourn at 7:53 p.m., Mr. Haggett second: 3-0-0