Oct 302018
 

BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE

WEDNESDAY October 24, 2018 5:30 PM

BROOKFIELD TOWN OFFICE

40 RALPH ROAD, BROOKFIELD, VT

UNAPPROVED MINUTES

The following members attended: Stuart Edson, Mike Stoddard, Dan Mason, Michael Rutkovsky and Lew Stowell. Kara Lake attended as member of the public. Kate Forrer attended as a project advisor. Captain Kyle Kapitanski attended as a representative of OCSD.

  1. Review and Approve Minutes of September 26, 2018. Approved unanimously.
  2. Questions or Issues Brought by Members of the Public. Kara Lake appeared with a progress report on determining sentiment in East Brookfield for lowering and extending the speed limit in East Brookfield.  She will have more signatures next month.
  3. Continuing Review of OCSD Activities, Reports and Bills. Captain Kyle Kapitanski, OCSD answered questions about OCSD activities. There are efforts to hire more Deputies.  He promised to send patrol logs with the monthly bill.  The new OCSD website to have more services available soon.  He agreed to increase patrols during drive-times on Stone Rd, Ridge Rd, West street and others. He was appreciative of offers by Brookfield residents to have either the speed cart or a cruiser parked on their property.to reduce speeding
  4. Traffic Law Enforcement and TORC Traffic Study L Stowell to send the TORC traffic Study to Captain Kapitanski and to clarify some terms with Rita Seto of TORC.
  5. Continuing Review of Parking Enforcement on Stone Road.  Kate Forrer asked if there could be more signs and movable “Green Men” found to warn motorist of increased pedestrians including children during events at the Old Town Hall.
  6. Reflective E-911 House Number Signs Project Progress. Signs have been ordered. Dan Mason will pick them up when they are ready.
  7. Continuing discussion of the of the Emerald Ash Borer threat. Green Mountain Power and Washington Electric discussed as resources where power lines and town toads co-exist.  Kate Forrer mentioned the availability of grants through UVM Extension to plan, inventory, compile data, etc. She will send the grant application to L. Stowell.  There will be about 30 days to respond.  Preparation of a grant application approved and to be passed on to the Select Board.   Stowell and S. Edson to co-ordinate with R. Peck, tree warden about grant goals. M. Rutkovsky willing to participate in the EAB Project.
  8. Increasing Parking in Pond Village. Edson to follow up with R. Peck, Road Foreman.
  9. Keeping in Touch with the Select Board and the Highway Department. L. Stowell sending Agendas and Minutes to key town officials with occasional phone calls.
  10. Discussion of movable radar speed display signs and the data that they produce. Captain Kapitanski to get data to L. Stowell from most recent placement of Speed Cart and to provide a briefing on the different report styles available.
  11. November Public Safety Message. Message approved to be placed on the town website and Front Porch Forum.
  12. Setting the Next Meeting. Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 5:30 PM
  13. Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting. Participants or advisors in on-going projects may attend.
  14. Adjournment at 7:15 PM