BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
JANUARY 25, 2016 5:00 PM, Town Clerk’s Office
Attending were the following PSAC members: Stuart Edson, Kevin Joyal, Joy Kacik, Mike Stoddard and Lew Stowell.
- REVIEW AND APPROVE MINUTES OF DECEMBER 28, 2016 MEETING. Approved
- QUESTIONS OR ISSUES BROUGHT BY MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC. None
- POND VILLAGE & RIDGE ROAD PARKING STATUS. Continuing to monitor.
- CONTINUING REVIEW OF OCSD ACTIVITIES, REPORTS AND BILLS. The December bill and report were discussed and the committee will continue to monitor.
- DISCUSSION ABOUT DEVELOPING A SET OF GOALS AND EXPECTATIONS FOR OCSD SUPPORT OF PUBLIC SAFETY IN BROOKFIELD. Joy Kacik provided a draft for review. Members will study and make suggestions, if any, at next meeting.
- CONTINUING DISCUSSION OF VT OPEN MEETING LAW REQUIREMENTS. There was a discussion about the condition of and difficulty in approaching some of the bulletin boards such as the one at the post office and in West Brookfield. Lew will send an email to the Select Board Chair.
- REVIEW PROGRESS OF THE VEHICULAR INVENTORY OF TRAFFIC AND ROAD SIGNS IN BROOKFIELD. Stuart and Lew described the progress made in three different expeditions and that the project is approximately 85% completed. There was discussion about what questions the sign inventory would answer and Stuart agreed to draft those questions. Stuart will contact a committee member to drive so that they can complete the inventory in the next expedition.
- DISCUSS THE CONTENTS OF THE PSAC REPORT TO GO INTO THE ANNUAL REPORT. Lew will review the previous draft and send it to the Select Board.
- DISCUSS AND PLAN FOR THE 2017 PUBLIC SAFETY EDUCATIONAL EVENT. It is scheduled for March 11, 2017 from 10:00 AM to 12:00PM at the Brookfield Elementary School. There will be an announcement at Town Meeting, placed on the Town Web Site, Front Porch Forum, etc. There will be a youth program and an adult program. Sheriff Bill Bohnyak,, Lt Roger Farmer, VSP, Chief Kevin Wheatley, BFD, 1St Constable Kevin Joyal, Fish & Wildlife Warden Keith Gallant and Dan Mason, Environmental Regulation will be invited to participate or provide representatives from their departments. This year’s event will have an agenda and a facilitator.
- DISCUSS AND PLAN FOR A CRIME PREVENTION OUTREACH PROGRAM. The Public Safety page on the town website will have safety tips or suggestions on a particular subject each month starting after the education event. The initial tips or suggestions will come from the outcome of the educational event.
- PSAC MEMBERSHIP DISCUSSION CONTINUED. No action required.
- SETTING THE NEXT MEETING. February 27, 5:30 PM at the Town Clerk’s Office.
- INVITING GUESTS TO THE NEXT MEETING. Lew will invite Sheriff Bohnyak and Lt Farmer, VSP.
- ADJOURNED at about 6:30 PM.