BROOKFIELD PUBLIC SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Wednesday February 28, 2018 5:30 PM
Brookfield Town Office
Ralph Road, Brookfield, VT
The following members and guests attended: Kevin Joyal, Stuart Edson, Lew Stowell, Dennis Larocque (Member of the Public) and Keith Gallant, Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Invited Guest).
- Review and Approve Minutes of January 24, 2018. Approved unanimously.
- Questions or Issues Brought by Members of the Public. Dennis Larocque asked what the status of the parking problem on upper Stone Road was. He was told that the Select Board had directed the Road Foreman to place 35 MPH signs at the intersection of Schoolhouse and Stone Roads and at the Williamstown Town Line, that those signs were now in place and that the Select Board would be requesting the Orange County Sheriff’s Department (OCSD) to enforce both speed limits and parking violations on that portion of Stone Road as well as other roads.
- The guest from the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department, Warden Keith Gallant described his role in law enforcement as being focused on laws concerning fish and wildlife and safety but enforcing other laws when he observed them while conducting his normal duties. He has good working relationships with other law enforcement agencies to include the Agency of Natural Resources with Environmental law enforcement. Fish and Wildlife Wardens are a resource available during disasters through the State EOC or a local Incident Commander. He urged people who hear, see or suspect fish or wildlife violations such as poaching to contact him as soon as possible while physical evidence may still be collected.
- Continuing Review of OCSD Activities, Reports and Bills- It was reported that OCSD spent 36.5 hours in January resulting in 2 vehicle citations and 3 vehicle warnings.
- Discussion of Goals and Objectives for Law Enforcement in Brookfield- Continued to the next meeting.
- Continuing Review of Parking Status and Traffic Signs in Pond Village and on Stone Road was sufficiently covered in the discussion with Dennis Larocque above.
- Preparation for the March 6 Town Meeting- It was decided not to create or issue handouts.
- Discussion of movable radar speed display signs– Stowell handed out a Draft Comparison Sheet for discussion. Lew will call Randolph P.D. to learn more of their experience with these signs and to call Two Rivers Planning Commission about a possible traffic study.
- February Public Safety Message- L Stowell presented a draft message which was approved and placed on the Town Website.
- Setting the Next Meeting. The next meeting will be on March 28, 2018 at 5:30 PM.
- Inviting Guests to the Next Meeting. Stowell will contact Martin Prevost to see who in Liquor Control should be a guest at the March meeting.
- The meeting was adjourned at 6:53 PM unanimously.